Menu
Sarah2016
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Online gaming bad speeds and high ping

I've been a customer for around 4 years now and recently my ping has gone a lot higher than it should be which cause so much lag and bad connection to others and since that's happened I've also been loosing a lot of speed ever since. I've had a engineer out and sort it once but it only lasted a few days and now its straight back to what it was before it really needs sorting as I'm paying for such a good and stable network but not getting this
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
redhowler
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Online gaming bad speeds and high ping

Sarah2016 wrote:
Okay then thanks

If is a free online game you might want to check what is .exe file mutating into and or try to what the activity also what is try to install beside the game or if using the browser in any "fishing" way. Even the paid games are problematic these days.

Spyware and malware can really mess up your internet resources.

Get a good security for your PC/laptop and watch the game started with procesexplorer and procesmonitor by Sysinternals maybe is not the easy way but you'll get around by watching some tutorials on youtube. Look in google for Sysinternal suite technet Microsoft. Are a lot of useful little programs which doesn't require installation.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sarah2016,

Thanks for bring this to my attention. I deeply apologise for the increase in ping and reduction in speed you've recently had. I'll definitely be able to help you out.

I've managed to locate your account to run some tests. I don't see anything wrong with the signal this time as the power levels and SNR (signal to noise ratio) levels are all within range. The area traffic is also very low with no unusual spikes.

I'd like to know more about your internal set-up. Could you please answer the following questions:-

Are you using wired or wireless?

What speed and ping results are you getting?

How are you testing the ping and speed?

What device are you using?

Please also set up a Broadband Quality Monitor and post the graph here so we can see understand your issues better.

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
Sarah2016
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

i am using wired connection for the online gaming and using wifi for the speed checking 

normal speed im getting for the gaming is aroud 30mb download and 5mb upload but it still seems to moderate my nat type and very laggy when i have more devices using the internet 

the speeds im getting when i test are 67.93mb download and 39.08mb uplad with a 43ms ping on the laptop 

im testing via the laptop speed test by ookla and also testing from the ps3 internet test 

im using a sony playstation 3 two of those a ipad 2 and two android phones and a laptop every now and then 

this is the the graph you wanted to see http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/d39dd680f8e847b6b5bb85d95d08a955-11-04-2016.html

a live graph http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/b8acd194c4a62176f8a4d9ce1769e904.html

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=146040627024185710420

http://www.speedtest.net/wave/39f4fd34cf3a6242 that is the speed test i did 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

"the speeds im getting when i test are 67.93mb download and 39.08mb uplad with a 43ms ping on the laptop"

That isn't your speed. You are posting the average speed of that speed wave you are in not your personal speed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

Sarah2016
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Okay how do I find that out then please
0 Kudos
redhowler
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The test you had already done with oocla www.speedtest.net that's the speed of your broadband.

But has nothing to do with your bad online gaming . If the test you already done with oocla speedtes.net 67 dwl and 39 upload is plenty for any online gaming.BUT that speed can be faulted by inconsistency which translates in packet loss(small interruptions of the packets) and that test doesn't show it.

1. Unhook some of your devices while playing online.

2. Try  NOT to use wireless but wired connection is much more reliable specially when you have Iphones around and so many wireless communicating devices.

Sarah2016
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Okay then thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Red howler you are missing the point that 67down/39up IS NOT THEIR SPEED. it's part of a group wave they are in. It's the average speed of that group. 39 up isn't even provisioned by VM, with the max currently at 20Mbs upload with 300Mbs download (with home works+) so it's impossible for them to have that speed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

redhowler
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It seems that wave test was provided by OOCLA that's why I draw the conclusion. But I did pointed Sarah to the www.speedtest.net anyway.

However the big point is that SH 1 and SH2 tends to overheat and than is freezing your internet by failing on basic operations, or restarting.

My SH1 was reaching 55-65 degrees C at the base of the heatsink so imagine what was the temp on the actual chip(I was having only 2 wired PC hooked to it)

0 Kudos
redhowler
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sarah2016 wrote:
Okay then thanks

If is a free online game you might want to check what is .exe file mutating into and or try to what the activity also what is try to install beside the game or if using the browser in any "fishing" way. Even the paid games are problematic these days.

Spyware and malware can really mess up your internet resources.

Get a good security for your PC/laptop and watch the game started with procesexplorer and procesmonitor by Sysinternals maybe is not the easy way but you'll get around by watching some tutorials on youtube. Look in google for Sysinternal suite technet Microsoft. Are a lot of useful little programs which doesn't require installation.

0 Kudos