Menu
meurigjenkins
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Not getting anywhere close to my advertised speeds

As the title pretty much says, my speeds are pitiful compare to what is advertised.

I'm on a package that advertises 200mbps speeds. I'd be perfectly happy with 100mbps (even though that's only 50% of what is advertised) but 90% of the time I barely reah 30mbps on wireless or direct ethernet. This simply isn't fair in the slightest. Why am I paying extra every month to get barely 10% of the speed I am supposed to be getting?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Not getting anywhere close to my advertised speeds

Hello meurigjenkins,

Sorry to hear about the slow speeds and I would like to welcome you to the community.  

I have located your account to run a couple of tests and all the signals look okay for the moment so can I just confirm whether you're still seeing this speed through a wired connection?

Looking forward to hearing from you

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
meurigjenkins
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm using ethernet through a powerline adapter. The speeds are slow both wireless and wired.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You need to test connected directly to the hub, with a device equipped with a gigabit ethernet adapter and Cat 5e (or better) ethernet cable. Any other tests are pointless.

Wireless is affected by many factors like range, client hardware, wireless environment and the topography of your home. Powerline adapters are also limited by the noise on your home's electrical circuits and the type of adapters you have.

0 Kudos
meurigjenkins
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I've also tested direct connections and it reflects this. Occasionall peaks of 60-80mbps, but the vast majority of the time I am at 30mbps or less.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hey meurigjenkins,

Thanks for the additional info Smiley Very Happy

I've tested your network again this evening and still nothing flags as a cause for concern.

Do you happen to notice if the speed fluctuates at certain times of the day / night?

Catch you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos