Menu
McClane6991
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Not getting 100mb, splitter affecting this??

Hi there

I signed up just over two weeks ago to a vivid 100 broadband only deal and have a query about my promised speed.
I live in a block of 12 flats in south east london and there is one (T junction?? )distributer box on the farthest corner of the flats away from mine) In short after doing some research before and since signing up, the dedicated fibre Virgin offer and the near promised speeds that most reviews say you will recieve sold me and I couldnt wait to get reliable broadband for once, however Ive had a mixed bag since.
The first day was a joke at around 9mb on average after doing many internet speed tests online, in the following days and after many more speed tests it improved greatly to be on average 60mbs (better than what i was used to but still disappointing) I was deliberately testing this speed at useful (peak times) like after work at around 5-9pm, then i decided to try it at 2am instead and magically due to less traffic i assume, it reached speeds of 90-110 at times, great but obvioulsy useless to me at the time in the morning. The weekends are awful though and I often only get speeds of sub 10mbs which is infuriating as thats a good time to use the internet etc.
I do appreciate that the speed of your package is only an estimate and to only get close is normal but for the money etc i do expect closer to 100! One thing that stood out as a possible cause to naive old me was when the installer guy came around
Pre loaded with "argh ive had a nightmare long day already" and my favourite " theres no way Im running a cable all the way from the box to yours- dont worry it wont affect speed" he then informed me that he could just tap into and split my service from a neighbours virgin whom already had a cable there. I understand from reading a few posts on here that the cable should be able to easily service both our flats with no impedance, despite my gut that it surely must do somehow.
So my questions are: is it normal and fixable to be getting speeds below 10mbs at peak times if im paying for 100mbs?
Has the installers 'cable split' got any detrimental effects on my speed, say if they have a package restricted to 50mb for e.g?
Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks
0 Kudos
Buffer6
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Not getting 100mb, splitter affecting this??

Utilization and current capacity falls way short of what's needed to honour speed promises, as more are signed up and start using the media services without the necessary infrastructure in place means everyone must get a smaller slice of the pie, until the pie is made larger or many pies are used, slower speeds are on the cards for everyone.

0 Kudos
McClane6991
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Not getting 100mb, splitter affecting this??

Thanks for that Buffer, I did actually know companies are only required to provide 10% of their customers their quoted speed in order to make a claim etc but I am genuinely getting less than that and thought that wouldnt happen to me. Anyway thanks mate
0 Kudos