Menu
Vyger
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Northern Ireland massive technical problem still ongoing after 5 weeks

I switched to Virgin Media 5 weeks ago, the worst choice of my life which will probably end up in court but certainly played out in the media.

Since day 1 I have had only 1 Tivo box despite signing up for 200mbps and 2 Tivo boxes, this is because 1 Tivo box freezes at 16% and reports my account os closed. I have persued this relentlessly and directly by email with Virgin Media but they will not fix the problem. I have an email from a local sales exec stating an engineer will be in touch, that email was 11 days ago and still no one has been in touch!

For almost the first 4 weeks I was getting extremely inferior speeds to the point where I almost had to threaten Virgin Media, they done something the same day which showed a short term boost to the speed but it's gone completely again to crap.

Being technical I have identified this is a widespread problem in Northern Ireland and not yet sure how localized to my area, the latency times from the Virgin server are dial up speeds so regardless if it peaks somewhere in the test getting to that motorway speed involves a lot of crawling through slow traffic to get there, essentially that is the best way to describe browsing experience page to page.

Since Virgin Media can not resolve this problem and seem to believe a £5 credit applied to my account for almost 5 weeks lack of service and one slow Tivo box is appropriate I have no choive but to escalate this to all media outlets to force an admission and hopefully some resolution to the problem and compensation for those customers affected.

Don't forget this is sold as up to 200mbps speed and the Ookla speed test which isp's favour drops the worst 30% of results the testmy.net results with 50mb download packet size are even worse.

But just look at that Ping time, it's like trying to order a drink in a crowded bar with a bar tender who is blasting music through his headphones.

vuirgin-media-speed-graph.png

0 Kudos
Vyger
Tuning in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Northern Ireland massive technical problem still ongoing after 5 weeks

This is my latest speed test which was removed earlier and the one I refer to the Pint time (latency), remember this supposed to be Super Fast up to 200mbps service.

virgin-media-slow.png

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Vyger,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

My apologies that you are having issues with your broadband connection. I can imagine how frustrating this must be.

i've managed to locate your account, the line and hub have come back as fine. There are no faults reported and the traffic on the network is running low, which is good.

With the speed tests you completed were they through a wired or wireless connection? If wireless can you try through wired please to see if the speeds differ?

Also if you can try whilst the Hub is in modem mode, that will be helpful as it will eliminate other devices connected.

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Vyger
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Thanks for your reply,

The test results are all through a wired connection nothing else connected or using bandwidth.

This is a real problem despite your tests and I am working it with Virgin Media at a high level. Up to 200mbps was sold to me as possible and I very rarely get even close to 60mbps measured on Ookla who drop the worst 30% of results so favour isps.

My automated tests are through Testmy.net which gives a much truer result where I average 23mbps and a very poor browsing experience due to the very poor latency of your network. Some ping times I get are in excess of 300ms which is third world performance.

I hold many electronic certifications and many years of experience troubleshooting systems and I have a pretty good idea where the problem lies in your system. I know this is affecting many customers and will require equipment upgrade to resolve so please do not try to inform me things are performing well as they are far from it.

Vyger