I've been a Virgin Media customer for the past 6 years, I've always enjoyed great speed and service up until October 2015 when I signed up to the 200Mb service. It started off great but quickly became unreliable, failing to reach anywhere near the speeds claimed.
I made countless calls to Virgin Media's support staff who sent out 2 new routers, but still the problem continued. I was eventually told there were too many customers in the NN3 area and the Virgin network was unable to keep up with demand. Whether this is true or not I don't know but was told work to rectify the problem would be done early in 2016.
Frustrated with both the lack of any real alternative (neither BT or Sky provide fibre service in my area) and paying Virgin money for a service I don't get, I reduced my package to the SuperFibre50. It's now May 2016 and the broadband is still dreadful, I complained again this weekend and was told 'oh there's a problem in your area which we're working to fix' and yesterday, I received a text notifying me Virgin Media have fixed the problem.
Running a speed test tonight shows I'm getting download speeds of 6.96Mbps and an upload of 0.52Mbps. I've tried the customary reset/shut down procedure and the diagnostic/fix my connection thing on the Virgin web site and my new Speediest claims I'm getting 5.25Mbps and an upload of 0.70Mbps.
Connection speeds are the same regardless of what device I use to connect to the router. My main computer an iMac is connected via ethernet cable which plugs directly to the Virgin router and my MacBook Pro/iPhone connects via WiFi. All exhibit the same behaviour - a slow and at times intermittent connection. In an effort to eliminate the problem from my side, I've re-formatted my iMac (!), used their different routers, plugged my iMac directly into the router without anything else turned on/connected. Nothing improves things. Thankfully, my iPhone has a good 4G service so I've reverted to switching wifi off - but that grates, why should i have to do that when I'm paying for broadband!
Are there any other users in the Northampton area experiencing these problems? Is this a known problem?
Does any have any ideas what else I can do/try?
I'm a loyal Virgin customer but enough's enough, I'm so fed up with the situation I'm considering a formal complaint to the ombudsman. Has any else had experience going down this route? Any advice?
Welcome to the forums, I'm sorry to see you have been having trouble with your speeds.
I have taken a look and it seems you're affected by fault ref F004144839 for slow speeds during peak times. This is currently with the planning team so I don't have a lot news currently. We should know more after 01/06/2016.
I can also see that your modem SNR is out which will not be doing your connection any favours. I would like to get an engineer out to have this corrected for you.
I will pop you a PM to get this arranged.
Keep an eye out for the Purple Envelope, top right hand corner.
Hi. I'm NN3 as well. Has your problem been solved? I was OK until a couple of weeks ago when speeds fell and my router lost wifi connections completely. Then, VM told me to reboot the hub. I did this and got connection back, but the speeds were still slow. Today, I connected my PC directly via Ethernet cable which improved my PC speeds but not the wifi speeds. I did a Chat with VM and was given information to change the wifi channel on my hub. That seems to have improved things so far today. Maybe my neighbours have some new equipment that was interfering with my wifi signal. Crossed fingers. I'm keeping the Ethernet cable.
UPDATE. I don't think the channel change was a permanent fix. Now, although my Ethernet cable connected PC is OK, my wifi attached devices have gone very slow again. Just now my PC is getting 74.6 download speed, while my Bush tablet is getting 3 - 8 mbps. The tablet got over 30 just after I reset my hub. I now think I was right before in thinking I have a dodgy hub.
UPDATE to the UPDATE. Things have been OK for a couple of days now. Even the tablets on wifi seem OK. A possible reason is that I switched off my wireless-N extender. However, for about 24 hours that has been on and not affecting my wifi from the router. The hub is now transmitting in channel 1 (rather than the default auto). Maybe, every so often the hub chooses a channel that is interfered with by some equipment somewhere. My wireless-N seems to transmit on channel 5 - when it's on.