Menu
Crocodilehat
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Newly connected- slow speed

I have just joined vivid 200. I'm in area 22 and getting download speeds of around 70mb max. (Wired speed test) This is well under what I should be getting. Any advice would be welcome or have I been misled...
0 Kudos
Hydrops
Dialled in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Newly connected- slow speed

misled, leave while you can and don't be tempted to stay.

Getting consistently shafted by highly fluctuated ping during "peek" all daylight hours.
thepixel
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Really depends when your getting that speed and if it's constant throughout the day.

If you get serious drops during the hours of 5pm-00:00 then your area is oversubscribed. To give you an idea of a badly oversubscribed area, I have a 100mb connection and lucky to get 5mb during peak times.

Is the speedtest done on wifi or cable. I would suggest cable for the test.

Keep a log and keep chasing virgin. Then slowly loose your sanity.

Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Crocodilehat,

Thanks for getting in touch, I've just completed a few checks on your network segment and Hub and all looks to be in good shape, no peak time demand issues or power level problems, so good speeds should be very achievable.

How are things at the moment?

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Crocodilehat
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me. The speeds aren't super dreadful and I'm not getting terrible drop off at peak times but my max download speeds are nowhere near the 200mb I'm subscribed to. Wired speeds seldom peak above 100mb and wifi above 75mb.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Crocodilehat,

I appreciate you posting back here with an update.

I'm sorry to read that you are not achieving the up to 200 Mbps broadband speeds.

In regards to the broadband speeds, on the device you are testing through wired, does it have a gigabit LAN card and is the Ethernet cable a Cat 5e or above?

Let me know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Crocodilehat
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam. Yes to both those questions. Although I get variable results depending on which speed checker I use.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for updating us with this information Crocodilehat,

Sorry to hear about the issue experienced.

I've had a look into this and there doesn't appear to be any issues detected via the network segment, however, there are some inconsistencies with the equipment levels that I'd like for an engineer to investigate.

I've sent you a private message so that we can get an appointment booked in.

Speak to you soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Crocodilehat
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Since the engineer visited on Saturday and we got the speed to what I'm paying for, my evening speeds have got progressively worse. Tonight they are rubbish. Almost a tenth of what I'm paying for. What's going on?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello again Crocodilehat,

Thanks for the update Smiley Happy

Glad the engineer visit went well, but sorry to hear that you're still having problems. I've checked again on the usage in your area and it's not exceeding thresholds, it does rise and dip during on and off peak hours, but this is to be expected and is not high enough to be considered as a fault right now, this could change as the network grows more popular in your area.

Can I ask if you're noticing the reductions on the wireless or hard-wired speeds?

Catch you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos