Menu
julian-p
Joining in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

New user - poor speed since day 1

Hi folks.

I signed up for 50mb BB in December hoping it was better than BT. Since day 1, my speeds have been awful to say the least - slow to load web pages, download speeds nearing dial up at times and buffering like crazy whilst watching videoes or live tv via apple tv (and the picture quality drops right down).

At present I have my router set I'm modem mode as I hoped that might help - nope. The annoying thing is, if I go to Speedtest.net, it says I am getting the speeds I should be - why is it so unuseable then? BT were slower on Speedtest but much better in actual use.

I've checked my upstream power which is 42.3 dBmV on both channels - I believe its supposed to be below 50. Downstream power varies by channel from 2 to 3.4 dBmV across all 16 channels.

I also have issues with my VM box stuttering at times - not sure if that's related or not.

I've tried all the usual power down, wait up to 30 mins etc. but this is from day 1 - you shouldn't need to do this stuff right from the start. At present, I can't wait for my contract to be up so I can go back to BT or TalkTalk (never thought I'd say that) - I really want Virgin to work for me but I feel looking at these forums its going to be an uphill struggle.

PS - our cable back to the cabinet is brand new - dug the road up to lay our cable specifically.

0 Kudos
julian-p
Joining in
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: New user - poor speed since day 1

PS - I am using wired and wireless connections - they are all bad.

Speedtest results - http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6050597722

Stupidly, that is what I should get but when you try to use the internet, its useless. PC is virus and malware free and have the same issue with multiple laptops, iPads, iPhones, Apple TV - anything that connects to it

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Evening julian-p,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to read you are having issues with your broadband speeds.

From checking your connection, the line and hub have come back as fine. The power levels are within range as you mentioned, there are no faults reported and the network segment is running stable.

You mentioned you are using the Hub in modem mode, are you using your own router for the wireless?

If so, have you tried a connection direct to the Hub to see if that improves the connection?

Let me know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
julian-p
Joining in
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Samantha

Thankyou for your reply and checking my connection for me. Yes I have the hub in modem mode at present and am using my own router. I have tried it the normal way and it makes no difference (Its actually better for me this way so I can use proper parental controls through my router as the Virgin parental controls are basic to say the least).

Yes I have tried a direct connection to the hub too - no real change. All the PC's in the house are on a wired network and only tablets and phones use the wifi. The network is fine and fully functioning with no issues - all cabling has been tested and is good. I have also changed the network switch in the loft to see if that was causing issues (2 PC's upstairs share one network cable through a switch) - the main downstairs PC has a direct connection to the router via Ethernet.

Many thanks

Julian

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Julian,

Thanks for getting back to us Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear this is still on-going I completely understand it's frustrating. I've taken another look at your connection since Sam looked and I can see you've since accumulated quite a few time-outs. I think it's best if we arrange for an engineer to call around to look into this further.

I'll drop you a PM (purple envelope, top right) to confirm a visit.

Speak with you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
julian-p
Joining in
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Ok - so the engineer came round on Monday morning as promised.

Said he found a cable fault (?) on the 3 month old cable coming in to the house. Also said we didn't need the little booster thingy that the installation engineer fitted so removed it. Then said everything should now be fine and left without testing from the PC.

Seems the speed is still pretty bad, ping of over 600ms quite regularly so nothing changed. Wifi and wired connections both as bad as each other. Even poor quality Facebook videos buffer.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hello again Julian-p,

Thanks for the update Smiley Happy

I'm so sorry about this! Something still isn't right as today your SNR levels are out of range. I do apologies but I'm going to need to get an engineer around again. This time I'll ensure it's a senior engineer. Again, please see your inbox (purple envelope, top right) for my message.

Take care.

Heather_J

0 Kudos
julian-p
Joining in
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Is there any way I can exit my contract?

Another engineer has visited, could find no fault and got our speed upped to 70megs. Its still poor to say the least. Watching Netflix is impossible - buffers like crazy - same on NowTV. Even low quality Facebook video buffers - that is not 70meg line performance.

I'm paying for a service and not getting anything like what I expect. If I offered this quality of service to my customers, I would lose my job.

Please can this either be fixed or let me out of my contract. I will not be extending beyond December 9th any way.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hey Julian_p,

Thanks for the new info Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear the engineer visit still hasn't resolved this fault, the SNR levels are looking better when I test today. I think the next step would be for you to set up a broadband monitor so we can take a closer look at your connection over a longer time period.

Thanks for your patience,

Take care.

Heather_J

0 Kudos
julian-p
Joining in
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Been running for a while now and will leave overnight - linky

0 Kudos