Menu
Woodybuzz
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

New joiner, feel misled on speed

joined virgin media on Saturday.  Had a great experience up to and including installation, however began worrying when install team saw my speed test and responded with the 'leave it 24 hours response' signed up to 200mb yet hovering at speeds between 25-30mb.  BT infinity promised up to 50 and estimating 30 and getting a consistent 28 moments after install.

phoned tech response and told there is some  sort of issue somewhere and the engineer will visit the area in May.

not good enough so feel like cancelling within14 day grace and going back to BT? Any help to get speeds up would be appreciated as upload is what I expected. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: New joiner, feel misled on speed

Sounds like over utilization just based off what you've said.

Leave.

The may date is only a review date not a fix date.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

robtribe
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Wow ... talk about jumping to a conclusion with zero facts ...

Let the engineers do their thing .. as you say, you have a couple of weeks to tap out if you want to

0 Kudos
voicon
Up to speed
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

robtribe wrote:

Wow ... talk about jumping to a conclusion with zero facts ...

Let the engineers do their thing .. as you say, you have a couple of weeks to tap out if you want to

Zero facts?

Did you miss the bit where they said engineer will visit in May, this is outside of his 14 day cooling off period.

I agree with Shafreya, that is too long to wait for a normal fault and sounds like over utilisation from what you said.

robtribe
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

ok - if you could explain how you jumped to "over utilisation" then please i would love to be enlightened Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Poor speeds on install - was done at weekend which would be effected by peak time speeds (there is no setting in period, the speeds you get from the start are what you get)

May date for a 'fix' - follows the usual pattern of over utilization review dates, if it was a power level issue there wouldn't be a date this far in the future. The same with SNR which generally has a 1 week review date. If there was something obvious wrong that wasn't an area fault (over utilization) the OP would of got an engineer visit out booked for them and not told they won't be coming out till May.

Upload speed uneffected - follows the trend of over utilization too.

Experience - I've not been on the forum for a day or two. You learn to see things.

What do YOU think it is? If the 'engineers' were coming out in may, it would be past the 14 day cooling off period anyway.

robtribe
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

All conjecture - zero hard facts

You appear to be one of those individuals who refuses to admit anything - so I'm really not expecting you to agree with me - or anything else from our interaction. I'll stop responding to your posts now as the conversation doesn't help the op.

To the op - my opinion is that you should let VM try and fix it - if they end up not being able to do so and the time falls outside of the 14 days, don't worry as they have failed to provide you with the contracted service and you will still be able to cancel the contract.

If you wish to believe it's an endemic issue with VM as Shafreya contends - then by all means take his/her view and leave.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You are telling the OP to wait till May (wait for them to fix it) and to leave as well at the same time(leaving in the cooling off period)? Make your mind up.

You can walk around with your head in the sand or look at the obvious with the facts taken from the OP's post and use experience with them.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

robtribe wrote:

All conjecture - zero hard facts

If it looks like a duck and it quacks like a duck.

You appear to be one of those individuals who refuses to admit anything - so I'm really not expecting you to agree with me - or anything else from our interaction. I'll stop responding to your posts now as the conversation doesn't help the op.......<snip>

I'd say it helps the OP enormously. They are a new customer and won't be aware of the utter misery over utilisation causes.

VM sales will flog you broadband in a oversubscribed area, fact.

If you are in a oversubscribed area it is not uncommon for it to take over 2 years to see any improvement, fact.

May fix, I think not? Well, I can't claim that as a fact but where have we heard that before?

With all of the above and from the information the OP posted I'd say we have, beyond all reasonable doubt, a duck.

Dave.

0 Kudos
tommey
Well-informed
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I totally agree with @Shafreya and others LEAVE.

Just look below and see how long I have been waiting for a fix to peak time speeds and in all honesty I am not expecting a fix this year either.

If you stay all you will receive is a small credit to your account each month, if you NAG them enough and a new review date every 2 or 3 months.

This is the poor quality of my Superhub 3 connection Smiley Sad
My Broadband Ping - Vivid 200 Gamer

- First reported 09/2014 - Fault ticket raised 01/01/15 -    - Review 01/05/15 - Review 12/08/15 - Review 14/10/15 - Review 04/11/15 - Review 15/04/16 - Review 06/07/16 - Review 31/09/16 - Review 30/11/16 - Review 15/02/17 - Review 12/07/17 - Review 20/09/17 - Review 14/06/17 - Review 10/01/18 - Review 25/04/18 - F004670584 << 3 YEARS+ 

But with BT Fibre I can actually game without lag Smiley Very Happy
My Broadband Ping - BT FIBRE 80/20

0 Kudos