Menu
jonomassey
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

New installation - 200mb slow speeds

Hi, I've had VM 200mb for just over a week and my speeds are slower than expected.  I live on a new build estate and so was expecting with the latest cable to be getting faster than I currently receiving.  Outside of peak the quickest speed received is around 110mbps but average around 70mbps, but during peak time I'm getting between 15mbps and 20mbps.  I've tested with ethernet and get similar results.  Does it normally take a couple of weeks for the speeds to settle down? I have friends who are receiving 150mbps+ who are on the same package as me.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: New installation - 200mb slow speeds

Hi jonomassey,

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the community Smiley Happy

Disappointing to hear about the less than headline speeds, checking your connection I can see that this is due to heavy peak time traffic in your area causing congestion. Networks are investigating on ref. F003916303 with upgrade work to add capacity currently planned for April/May.

Outside of the busy evening and weekend periods close to full speeds should be possible though, does your PC or connected device support gigabit speeds, if not this might explain the slower 100Mb or so that you're seeing.

Kind Rgds

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
jonomassey
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response, I'm connected via wifi using a macbook pro, and via both ethernet and wifi get similar speeds.  Also get same speeds on iPhone 6 and on my PS4 which is connected by ethernet too.  I believe these devices support gigabit speeds?  The estate having spoken with the developer has a high uptake on virgin and there are over 200 houses.  Hopefully the increased capacity will sort it, anything is better than my previous address, struggled to get 3mbps with BT!!!

Thanks

0 Kudos
jonomassey
Tuning in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Is there somewhere you can check the progress of F003916303 as the speeds are getting slower and slower?

Many Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jonomassey,

I've just checked fault F003916303 for you and can see that following some work carried out a few days ago the capacity has been increased but the contention levels are still breaching thresholds so more work is required. The new review date is 12/10/16. If you'd like an update in future it's best to bump this thread and one of the team will be along shortly to get you more information.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
hortonj88
Up to speed
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

12th October...

Best advice I can give you is cancel while you still can.

I had contention at my old address, suffered with it for almost 3 years.

Left VM 9th Jan 2017 due to high utilisation. Enjoying reliable services with Sky Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi jonomassey,

I'm just stopping by because I've run tests on your connection and I can see your power levels are way out of a range. This is not helping your speeds issues so I'll need to send an engineer to the property to get these back within range.

They won't be able to fix the area issue but it'll provide you with the best signal possible until such a time comes when the work is completed.

I'm going to send you a private message to discuss further. To view this click on the purple envelope on the top right.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
jonomassey
Tuning in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Can anybody take a look at fault F003916303 as the speeds seem to be getting slower. Tonight speed struggling around 9.5mb. Thanks
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi there jonomassey,

Thanks for getting back to us, I hope you're well Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear that you're still suffering with slow speeds.

I've taken a look at the fault in your area, it's still currently on-going and is getting reviewed on the 12/10.

Would you mind posting back on or after the review for an update.

Thanks again,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
leemeluk
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Has this fault (F003916303) as I'm told that this would fix my utilisation and its still running like a dog at peak times in NG19

0 Kudos