Menu
Rogerthat12
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

New customer probs

I find it very dishonest that sales teams don't mention that any non cable provider will charge you £31+vat to cease services in order to join Virgin. Spoke to 2 virgin staff, sales and CS both seem to have selective amnesia on the subject and claim to have never heard of it happening. This is regardless of you being out of contract and it affects everybody. See link below for clear advice. 

Upload speed of 3mb compared to 7-8 on bt is another funny Virgin joke. Broadband and tv went down second day, can't speak to a human when you call up, compensation should be automatic when your own status checker shows an area fault and isn't worth the hassle of reporting. I have a few words for you Virgin: cooling off period.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband-cease-charge/?s_cid=con_FURL_ceasecharges

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New customer probs

Upload speeds difference is because you are moving to the DOCSIS network on VM. This was a network built for TV, and consequently, upload was not really a consideration as it isn't really used for TV.

BT and the rest all use a difference technology, ADSL.

As a point of reference, neither network is fibre where it matters (to your house), they are both fibre to a point, and then their own respective cables (VM = copper coax, BT etc = twisted pair).

As to the charges for leaving BT, as said that is a BT charge and BTs/your responsibility, nothing to do with VM as VM do not force you to change.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos

All Replies
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virgin don't inform you that your old provider may charge you because that's your old providers job to tell you. Not everyone gets charged I didn't.

You should have checked upload speeds before signing up
0 Kudos
Rogerthat12
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virgin ask you who you are with currently and are happy to bash the competition, considering the number of people who switch from BT daily it would be pertinent to mention the cost of cessation because it is the process of switching to Virgin in particular that causes them to charge you. If you switch to any other company you will not be charged.

Upload speeds that are deliberately kept disproportionately low compared to other ISP's is a Virgin problem, not mine. I would expect that moving from fibre to a 'faster' fibre product that my upload speed would not decrease. This is not an unreasonable assumption. Strangely enough the upload speed is not something the shout about, it is not easy to find without specifically searching for it, unlike the download speed which they compare to BT 

Thanks for your comments, you only commented in defence of Virgin and didn't offer any assistance or information.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Upload speeds difference is because you are moving to the DOCSIS network on VM. This was a network built for TV, and consequently, upload was not really a consideration as it isn't really used for TV.

BT and the rest all use a difference technology, ADSL.

As a point of reference, neither network is fibre where it matters (to your house), they are both fibre to a point, and then their own respective cables (VM = copper coax, BT etc = twisted pair).

As to the charges for leaving BT, as said that is a BT charge and BTs/your responsibility, nothing to do with VM as VM do not force you to change.

0 Kudos
Rogerthat12
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

high upload speeds are freely available, they put them on more expensive tiers to make you pay for them.

Consumers should not have to be network infrastructure experts when choosing an ISP, fibre is fibre to the lay person, marketing needs more strict guidelines in my opinion.

You know what, fine, don't tell me about the BT charge, just don't pretend I am the first customer in the history of broadband to mention it to you. These were the words of sales and CS at Virgin: "I have never in my life heard of a cease or disconnection charge". Not their first day at work either, one said they had been there 6 years!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

They are not readily available. Due to the nature of the DOCSIS network it doesn't take much use on the upstream by a few customers in the same area to slow down the UPstream for every customer in the area as there isn't much room for the UPstream spectrum. This is called UPstream contention. This is also why even with the higher packages they still have fair usage policies on them which restricts hOw much you can upload in a certain timeframe without getting your upload speed penalised for an hour.

Again this is down to the network originally being built for TV and not for the internet so there just isn't the room for the upstream.

As to the charge you are the first person I've seen ever mention it, bear in mind I've only been on the forums for 2 years now and I don't work for VM. Either way it's still a charge for leaving BT, not for joining VM, thus it's a BT issue not VMs:

Apologies my phone keeps auto capitalising UPstream, kinda annoying for me Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Rogerthat12
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Appreciate the info though thanks. The trouble is people just want an internet connection and that shouldn't be complicated and small print shouldn't be hidden by anyone, especially vital information like a cease charge or an upload speed. BT just as guilty. The charge surprised me a lot because I have switched between broadband providers many times free of charge to get the best deals. Cable or not they are all broadband providers, a quick Google would suggest many people are also surprised by the cease charge when moving to Virgin. This is BT and Virgin, industry leaders not small players. When I work sales I know the charges of my biggest competitor.

Wish there was a service provider that didn't bait and switch so I wouldn't have to switch at all.

Also wish that the internet wouldn't go down, but especially at peak when CS is closed and then recover when they are open. So you have to hold on to your frustration until morning and waste time making a complaint while your internet is fine in order to get probably 20p off your bill. If their system records a significant outage it should let customers know, apologise and apply a discount automatically. I thought the TiVo box would be a waste of time, then saw a movie I wanted to watch, 'on demand', but not my demand as it happens, TiVo now lives in a cupboard. Happens way too often in every Virgin household I know.

Ok glad I got that off my chest, thanks Internet.

0 Kudos