Menu
ianjenkins666
Joining in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

New broadband install still having slow speeds (NG15 postcode)

Recent (3 weeks ago) had new Virgin Media install of all services (BB package was for 200Mb Optical as stated in the contract). Engineer advised that BB would be tuned up over the first couple of weeks but still at speeds that were not as good as what I had on Sky. I have tested on a daily basis at different intervals and still only see 20-30Mb on a wireless connection sat 5 foot from the router with direct line of sight.

I called into support and they advised there is a known fault (Ref F004175778) for which an engineer has been assigned. Can someone please confirm what ETA this ticket has and re-assure me that once resolved, I will see my speeds improve. I am technically astute so understand network connectivity so I know not to expect 200Mb speeds via a wireless connection.

Help appreciated.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: New broadband install still having slow speeds (NG15 postcode)

first mis-truth was that it will be tuned up over a couple of weeks - what you see at initial connection is it - that assumes settings at modem are correct

wifi as you say is never going to be as good as wired so first thing to do is test wired - gigabit lan card using cat5e cable or better - if that gives 200meg then thats as good as it gets

no idea on the fault ref - VM will get to the thread and can add info - they take about a week to get here

so if you have 200 or there abouts wired and thats 24/7 you need to look at the wifi - what devices are you using - many will not do much better than 30meg - if you have 200 at off-peak times and slower speeds at busy times then thats utilisation - again VM will confirm or not

if you have slow wired speeds 24/7 then that may be the modem levels - log in 192.168.0.1 - dont sign in and go to the settings page and post upstream and downstream power levels

Tony
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi ianjenkins666,

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community.

Sorry to read that you are experiencing slow broadband speeds. 

I would like to check your connection and take a look at the fault ticket you mentioned, however I was unable to locate your account. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) requesting some details.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi ianjenkins666,

Thanks for the reply and confirming your details, I appreciate it.

I've taken a look at your account and the fault ticket is in relation to high peak time traffic. The review date is 21st December. As this is a review date this can be subject to change. Nearer the date our engineers will check the bandwidth and if there is an improvement the fault will be closed, or if there is still an issue we will continue with additional work.

I'm sorry for the delay and inconvenience caused.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
grogers497
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Samantha

Is fault ref F004175778 the fault number for the over utilisation problem that started in this area on the 19th March 2016? I have just been told that the next earliest fix date is 1st March 2017.

Please advise.

0 Kudos
ianjenkins666
Joining in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam, any further updates since 21st Dec has now been and gone ? I did have one day where I saw more than 100Mb wireless speed (which provide it is technically possible on the router and devices I have connected) but then it blipped back down to the usual sub-optimum levels.

0 Kudos
ianjenkins666
Joining in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I notice in another posting (from Craig in NG15 postcode) that there was also an SNR fault (F004914970) with a target resolution of 28th December. I was getting intermittent drop outs and disconnections (though seemed to not have a determinable pattern) over the Xmas period so could you update on this ticket also please Sam ? Thanks again.

0 Kudos
grogers497
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

If this is the same one as me, it's been pushed back to 1st March. For me it's a year on 19th March 2017. Dire news due to over utilisation. 😣
0 Kudos
Raco
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Do a search for NG15 top of forum. Over utilization which takes years to fix I've been waiting 9 months for my fix and next date is march. Lies after lies they will feed you and while your speeds are bad they will continue to sign up more people like yourself. Best bet is to phone them up and leave.

0 Kudos
grogers497
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Oh I know this Raco and yes they keep signing new people up. I went on as a prospective new customer and asked about broadband at my neighbours house. They told me no utilisation issues in my area at all and my minimum speed would be 161Mb at peak times.

All lies of course as some nights I get as low as 1Mb yet 200Mb when I wake up.

They've reduced my ongoing bill by £12.50 per month as is is the max agreed by OFCOM. That's also a lie as OFCOM don't set compensation values, only Virgin Media can.

I posted a 92 page submission on 23rd December. One day an Ookla speed test took 3 minutes 38 and the outcome 0.15Mb.

0 Kudos