Menu
Pburley7
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

New User Poor speeds

Hi 

Just signed up to 50mps on virgin fibre but has been useless since day 1 

Get about 50mps in off peak times but ranging from 0.30-2.2 in peak times. Pretty unuseable and not had speeds so slow since I had dial up!!

I am in area 20 and have tried wired and wifi with same results, I am still in 14 days of cooling off should I just cancel and move on. Don't have much faith after reading posts on here.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Bartman007
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New User Poor speeds

Pburley7 wrote:

Hi 

Get about 50mps in off peak times but ranging from 0.30-2.2 in peak times. Pretty unuseable and not had speeds so slow since I had dial up!!

I am in area 20 and have tried wired and wifi with same results, I am still in 14 days of cooling off should I just cancel and move on. Don't have much faith after reading posts on here.

I would personally end the contract, as you will be in for a long wait for it to be fixed, ring VM and ask for confirmation about over utilisation, they should of told you before signing you up: OFCOM: Codes of practice.

"Under the voluntary code of practice on broadband speeds, Internet Service Providers (ISPs) agree to give clear information on broadband speeds to consumers when they consider or buy a home broadband service, and to provide redress when speeds performance is poor. Ofcom and ISPs have agreed a revised code which came into effect on 1st October 2015."

Regards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the information I provide is available on Google Search, I just make it simple for you Smiley Happy
chutwutt
Superfast
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

my speeds were odd for the first week or two until vm sorted them out. five years on, its got better and more stable so I say get them to deal with it NOW.

They can extend the cooling period if they wish, get that in writing though.

0 Kudos
mgtinman
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes, yes, yes cancel, it will not get any better for some time, i am in area 20 it has been rubbish here for months unusable at times, luckily for me my 12 months is up tomorrow, good riddance virgin media rotten to the core.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Bartman007
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Pburley7 wrote:

Hi 

I would personally end the contract, as you will be in for a long wait for it to be fixed, ring VM and ask for confirmation about over utilisation, they should of told you before signing you up: OFCOM: Codes of practice.

"Under the voluntary code of practice on broadband speeds, Internet Service Providers (ISPs) agree to give clear information on broadband speeds to consumers when they consider or buy a home broadband service, and to provide redress when speeds performance is poor. Ofcom and ISPs have agreed a revised code which came into effect on 1st October 2015."

Regards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the information I provide is available on Google Search, I just make it simple for you Smiley Happy
chutwutt
Superfast
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

my speeds were odd for the first week or two until vm sorted them out. five years on, its got better and more stable so I say get them to deal with it NOW.

They can extend the cooling period if they wish, get that in writing though.

0 Kudos
mgtinman
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes, yes, yes cancel, it will not get any better for some time, i am in area 20 it has been rubbish here for months unusable at times, luckily for me my 12 months is up tomorrow, good riddance virgin media rotten to the core.

0 Kudos
bonstio
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Same issue. Been on less than a week. It's ass during peek (<2), perfect off peak (>50).

See http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/My-bandwidth-sucks-in-the-evening-lt-5mbps/m-p/3354455/hig...

0 Kudos
CoreyDog
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Cancel and run as fast as possible.

High Utilisation by Virgin is a very common problem and can take years to resolve. I waited 2 and a half years and still hasn't even started any remedial work before I left. They will lie, offer you a small percentage off your bill for a month and other tricks to keep you, don't fall for it.
0 Kudos