Menu
alanwardrop
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

New Hub 3. V slow BROWSING. Coincidence?

I've just swapped my old SH1 for a Hub3, on the 50Mbs service.

It's very early days, but yesterday evening I was getting significantly better download speeds than I have done in peak time for a long time (I'm affected by contention ticket F003508185). Smiley Happy

D/L speed just now (Sunday morning) is testing consistently at > 35Mbs, BUT I am presently getting painfully slow browsing. You know what I mean when I say I get time to read in the status bar the URL of every darned little element of every darned page Smiley Sad

I thought this would be a DNS issue, but it seems exactly the same with default, Google, or OpenDNS server addresses set.

Any ideas?  I haven't changed any default settings in the Hub3;  The SH1 died altogether incidentally, so I can't go back to compare settings.

This may be a complete coincidence of course, but in any case any thoughts on how to diagnose/resolve would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Alan

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Hub 3. V slow BROWSING. Coincidence?

Hi Alan,

Try setting up and running a BQM for a few days to see whether you have a latency problem ...  http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/monitors.html

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
alanwardrop
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Dave,

I'll do that. 

I have done a few traceroutes which are not suggesting high latency - e.g. to Google below, but it will be interesting to monitor more thoroughly.

1 6 ms 2 ms 4 ms 192.168.0.1
2 14 ms 15 ms 22 ms 10.86.112.1
3 14 ms 13 ms 17 ms croy-core-2a-xe-112-0.network.virginmedia.net [81.96.226.29]
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 25 ms 20 ms 21 ms tele-ic-7-ae2-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.175.34]
6 15 ms 28 ms 16 ms 74.125.48.190
7 20 ms 25 ms 27 ms 108.170.246.129
8 18 ms 22 ms 19 ms 216.239.57.115
9 20 ms 24 ms 22 ms lhr25s01-in-f78.1e100.net [216.58.213.78]

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

A few further thoughts which you've probably dealt with anyway but may be of use to other readers ...

Only have ONE antivirus program running ... more than one can slow your browsing dramatically.

Run Malwarebytes to make sure you haven't got any nasties  invading your computer.

Other blocking software like Adaware can also slow things down.

Clear your browser cache regularly.

Reboot the machine daily.

Electron
0 Kudos
alanwardrop
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Here's 24 hours of BMQ; apart from the obvious peak time infelicity, nothing untoward I think.

BMQ.jpg

BMQ.jpg

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Agreed Alan, looks about par for the course.  A little ripple of packet loss during peak times but nothing significant there.

Electron
0 Kudos
Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

That hump at peak time is horrible and most certainly not normal. Either you were seriously heavily using your connection or there's a congestion problem on VM's core network.

As to the slower browsing, I strongly suspect it's the issue in this enormous thread, and not a coincidence.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Ignition wrote:

That hump at peak time is horrible and most certainly not normal. Either you were seriously heavily using your connection or there's a congestion problem on VM's core network.

As to the slower browsing, I strongly suspect it's the issue in this enormous thread, and not a coincidence.

That peak time hump is certainly normal here in Epsom and I'm sure it is for many other users in over-utilised areas.  I've just got used to living with it.   Smiley Sad

Electron
0 Kudos
Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Overutilised areas should have perhaps a small increase at peak times with a slope leading up and a slope leading down. Cliff-edge increases and drops indicate a problem in the core network rather than a local overutilisation one. Those really shouldn't happen.

0 Kudos
alanwardrop
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Ignition wrote:

Thanks for that - certainly could be, although I don't seem to be seeing anything like the latency spikes that folks are posting in that thread, and (in quiet times) outbound pings and tracerts look fine, when the browsing is slow.

Funny thing is that, for me, the SH3 has certainly improved the overall experience a lot (especially streaming TV), over an SH1, in an area known to be hit hard by over-utilisation. 

As it happens I do have an SH2ac, currently used as a secondary router, but not sure I can be bothered to see whether getting it activated is worthwhile. It would be very sad if it makes things worse again!

0 Kudos