Menu
Corky100
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

New Customer - low speeds?

Hi

I'm a new customer who subscribed to 100MB spped package, however I'm getting at best 25-35MBPS.

I'm kind of assuming its new customer syndrome and you need a few days to adjust, but am I missing something? I've restarted the router and using an Ethernet setup. Wireless setup is lower getting me around 28MBPS.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Corky100
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New Customer - low speeds?

Ok thanks for the info, I'll call and see how it goes
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 12 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It's the same number used to call VM. Go for 'thinking of leaving us' ask to speak to cancellations.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

No such thing as new customer syndrome. What you get is what you get.

You could potentially be suffering from peak time speed drops, it is an up to service.

Check your speeds after midnight / in the morning. If its full then its likely over utilization.

0 Kudos
Corky100
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Surely speeds of 25 -30% is not normal? I need to browse in the evenings as I work in the day.
Looking at Firefox the speeds I'm seeing is between 650Kb and 1Mb per second, which is less than 10% despite Speedtest maxing out at best 35Mbps. That surely isn't right?
Just looking for help as that kind of speed is simply not acceptable nor of use. I wasn't expecting the full 100MB but certainly wasn't expecting 10% and below. I'm guessing the community have experience and possibly suggestions?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Put it this way, if you are not getting 100% the speed all the time, something is wrong.

If it's constantly low then it points to hardware/software/an area fault that's being worked on. We can maybe help in those circumstances.

If it's low in evenings and weekends then it points to peak time over utilization.

If it's OU then there is nothing anyone on the forum/phone lines can do except advise you the REVIEW dates (phone scripts call them fix dates. They are not) for the issue and a small credit Off your bill.

As you are a new customer, you can leave in the cooling off period. If it is OU, you are advised to do so by us.

0 Kudos
Corky100
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hopefully just teething problems, but will see how it is later.
As I see even different speeds in Speedtest on mobile (jumps to 90-100MB then drops to about around 70-80MB) it could even be something else.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

No one will entertain wireless speedtests as there is too much that effects wireless.

People have got stuck in over utilization for a very long time. It's usually around 1-2 years for a fix. Probably best ringing up (don't mention wireless or the scripts will take a detour) and see what they say. If it's peak time over utilization/contention then leave as the speeds will do the same every night until fix.

0 Kudos
Corky100
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ok thanks for the info, I'll call and see how it goes
0 Kudos
Corky100
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

After several calls and engineer visits, still no fix. Not bothered about Speedtest results as they are completely inconsistent. The actual download speeds, both wired and wireless on all my devices is around 500Kbps. Yes Kbps. And there's no fix. There's apparently a problem somewhere that won't be fixed until the end of January so I have to live with the lowest speeds I have seen in 20 years until then. And even that's no guarantee so basically if there's no improvement by 25 Jan it's bye bye and I'm off.

In addition I'd like to say when speaking to the UK Broadband team I was helped for over an hour and quite happy with their service. The team before that (Burma?) Was quite patronising, borderline ignorant and quite arrogant when I suggested you can't do something when it doesn't work... not nice.

Let's see what January brings but this isn't a good start. I can't game. I can't stream. I certainly can't download and that hinders my job.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Get out now. Phone staff give 'fix dates' because their scripts call them that but they are only review dates.

If you are still in cooling off period, you would be a fool to stay.

deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Corky100 I completely agree with Shafreya, if you try to hang on until January that will trigger the full contract, then they will drag you along for the entire duration of it, so get out now!
0 Kudos