Menu
BarryRibena
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

New Customer - Terrible Broadband Speeds

Evening,

I'm a new customer, activated yesterday. There are no problems with our broadband connection, but I have the 200mb/16mb package and when I run speed tests it ranges between 6-25!. Doesn't seem to be a problem with the upload as that is usually between 12-16, but the download is terrible.

It showed as 147.97 when it first activated, but since then has between below 25 every time I run a speedtest, only getting up to 103 at 6 o'clock this morning.

I saw on another forum answer that potentially the power of my upload could be the problem as it is currently "54" but not sure if this is it.

I have attached some screenshots below

Appreciate any assistance

Thanks

Andydownstream.PNGupstream.PNG

0 Kudos
pyrotenax
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Customer - Terrible Broadband Speeds

If you have problems achieving you top speed for downloads , then there is either a problem with the line or (as often the case) your area is over-subscribed and VM's infrastructure can not handle everyone downloading

Running ASUS RT-AC88U with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@BarryRibena Upstream power levels are outside the recommended range of 31-51 and you will need a tech visit to get that corrected.

You can call VM and try to book a visit or wait for the VM staff to get to this thread and they can help you book a visit.  Unfortunately current response times on here from staff are usually several days.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

BarryRibena
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks appreciate the reply. I did wonder when I saw the upload was outside the values mentioned in the other threads. They did have loads of problems yesterday with locking on due to system issues.

Will give them a day or so and give them a call otherwise.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello BarryRibena

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry you are experiencing slow download speeds, we do have a problem with high peak time traffic in the area ref F005190085 and would like to carry our some remedial work with a review date towards the end of April, please accept our apologies.

I will send you a forum private message to arrange an engineer appointment to get those high power levels investigated.

Thank you, speak soon.

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello BarryRibena

Thanks for the message, I have booked an engineer for you, please check your PM for details. Good luck with the visit, if you have a moment please let us know how it goes in this thread.

Many thanks

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
BarryRibena
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, will do
0 Kudos