Menu
guitarbloke
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

New Customer - Regretting moving to Virgin. SG17 Area

So not only have we had very poor speeds since having virgin installed 3 weeks ago, but we are now experiencing complete drops in broadband connectivity every other day.

Wondering why we bothered in the first place..

Apparently there is a known issue in our area regarding the speed... (drops daily from the advertised 100mbps to anything between 3mbps-50mbps. We're now getting a discount each month until this is fixed (no fixed ETA). To be honest, I'd rather pay the agreed price and get the correct service.

Why on earth weren't we told about a known issue when I ordered the installation?

Oh, of course - because we wouldn't have signed up...

I'm in the SG17 area of Bedfordshire, and now thoroughly sick of rebooting the damned hub 3.0 each day (a process that takes a good 10mins each time).

We've had no internet this evening, and the hub is now on it's 11th restart (yet according to the service status page, there are no issues...).

My Sky ADSL connection only got us a paltry 6mbps (on a good day), but in 6 years we didn't have a single outage.

So come on Virgin - please justify the above. I'd love to hear your reasons/explanation.

Sorry if I sound irate, I'm just sick of getting such a rubbish service.
0 Kudos
Danzibar
Tuning in
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Customer - Regretting moving to Virgin. SG17 Area

I'm having exactly same the issues.  I dont live anywhere near you (WA15) but there are hundreds of posts on here with a similar story. 

I'm sorry to say but I suspect that it will be some time before you get any improvement in performance.

Oh and don't apologise for sounding irate - you should be irate as the tactics that virgin are using to sign up customers to over subscribed networks are immoral.

Good luck!

Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi guitarbloke,

Thanks for getting in touch, not the best of welcomes to our broadband service, apologies.

As you're aware there is known peak time traffic problem being investigated by networks on ref. F004176556, with upgrade work to add capacity estimated for July.

However, although the heavy peak time traffic will cause slower speeds this shouldn't be causing any loss of service or a need to reboot the Hub frequently, and in the absence of any other wider network fault I'm wondering if the Hub itself may be faulty, could you please try a factory reset via the pinhole on the back (keep this pressed for around 30 seconds or so) and let us know if this helps.

Speak soon.

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
guitarbloke
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm afraid the issue is not just at peak periods - it is at on and off throughout the day - Some days it can be at 8am, sometimes at 9:30, sometimes at lunch time, sometimes at 2pm - and then peak times on top of that.

I sincerely hope Virgin are not intending to fix just a 'peak time' issue.

For the last hour, my 100mbps connection has been sitting at 53mbps.

This is not solely a peak time issue.

Regards to the connectivity drop out - it finally came back online late on Sunday night after far too many reboots. It didn't drop out yesterday (it was just slow), I'm sure it will drop out again at some point today though.

Where do I stand re my contract? No one told me about this 'known issue' when I signed up for the service, surely full disclosure on Virgin's part is required when signing up to a contract? Virgin did a postcode check on my house and didn't mention anything...

Feeling pretty conned at the moment.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

not sure on the contract - existing customers who upgrade have 14 days to cancel otherwise they are in the new contract

i think? new customers have 28 days from install to cancel - talk to retentions - dont listen to fix days although to be fair they usually dont give them - offshore do but retentions is uk

utilisation can be a long time in being sorted - many many months going to years - outside the 28 days [if it is that] it gets very difficult to leave without cancellation charges which is £240 max

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - you are thinking of leaving us - dont worry about that they do much more - open 'till 8pm - 6pm on saturdays - closed sunday and the plus is its a UK call centre

Tony
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hmmm... the periods of heavy traffic are pretty much confined to to the evenings, so problems outside of these times may well be down to other issues, does the hub fully reboot of it's own accord when the service drops out or is more a loss of connectivity that's happening, and you reboot to try and fix things?

Are both wired and wireless connections affected?

Did you manage to try the suggested factory reset?

From a diagnostic point of view it may also be helpful to drop the Hub into modem mode and test the connection for a period.

Speak to you soon.

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
ntlworld_user
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

If only you had come to the forums first, we could have warned you, wise after the event ect.....

First of all, call 150, claim back your broadband payment for the months affected. VM have broken their contract in this and you should not have to pay for a service you have not received. Do this every month you are affected.

If the problem persists, and you want to jump ship ( as I am in a few weeks time ), then tell VM you wish to cancel your contract on the grouinds that they failed to supply the service advertised. Remember THEY have broken the contract, not you by overselling a service in an area which is already over capacity.

guitarbloke
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Just an update... I'm seriously unhappy now.

Just as predicted by other forum members, this 'service provider' (there's a joke in itself), the review date for the fault has been subject to a delay.

A 5 MONTH delay.

Really? So you know about a fault and you take over half a year to even review it?

So this issue with over-subscription in my area - which was known about when I subscribed in April (but not disclosed to me) - was supposed to be reviewed this month. It's now been put back to November for reasons unspecified.

Utterly shambolic, and it's even more shocking to see that I'm not alone in this, and that people in other areas are experiencing similar problems with unacceptably long review times for faults.

Not that VM will bebothered but I will be returning to Sky once my contract is up (I clearly should never have left), and I will have no qualms in spreading the word about my VM experience.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Not to be the bearer of bad news but most utilization issues take at least a year to be fixed. Your date will likely get pushed back again.

Phone staff will promise you that the dates are fix dates if you ring them up though, their scripts tell them to.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
tommey
Rising star
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@guitarbloke wrote:

Just an update... I'm seriously unhappy now.

You can leave early without penalty if the connection is not fit for purpose (This was offered to me several times)

Just as predicted by other forum members, this 'service provider' (there's a joke in itself), the review date for the fault has been subject to a delay.

A 5 MONTH delay.

Really? So you know about a fault and you take over half a year to even review it?

So this issue with over-subscription in my area - which was known about when I subscribed in April (but not disclosed to me) - was supposed to be reviewed this month. It's now been put back to November for reasons unspecified.

Utterly shambolic, and it's even more shocking to see that I'm not alone in this, and that people in other areas are experiencing similar problems with unacceptably long review times for faults.

Not that VM will bebothered but I will be returning to Sky once my contract is up (I clearly should never have left), and I will have no qualms in spreading the word about my VM experience.

I am also stuck in a so called high utilisation area and have been since they first gave me a fault reference in January 2015 (YES 2015 not a typo) this has been pushed forward over and over my latest date is July 6th I am expecting this to be pushed forward again. Also my peak speeds can drop as low as 3 meg and I am supposed to be on the Vivid 200 meg service.

Trust me I feel your pain this is my current speed @ 9:50pm for the Vivid 200 service.

Only reason I stick around is because I have an alternate connection and I get credit added to my Virgin bill on a monthly basis.

This is the poor quality of my Superhub 3 connection Smiley Sad
My Broadband Ping - Vivid 200 Gamer

Fault reported 09/2014 - Fault ticket raised 01/01/15 - Changed to 05/15 -  Changed to 12/08/15 - Changed to 14/10/15 - Changed to 04/11/15 - Changed to 15/04/16 - Changed to 06/07/16 - Changed to 31/09/16 - Changed to 30/11/16 - Changed to 15/02/17 - Changed to 12/07/17 - Changed to 20/09/17 - Changed to 14/06/17 - Changed to 10/01/18 < 3 YEARS SINCE FIRST TICKET

However thanks to BT Fibre Broadband I can actually game without lag Smiley Very Happy
My Broadband Ping - BT FIBRE 80/20

0 Kudos