Menu
Forum Team
Message 11 of 24 (170 Views)

Re: New CMTS in my area

Hey compman,

Thanks for keeping in touch with us Smiley Happy

I've just checked your connection and I don't see any fault associated with your cable at the moment. Could you please set up a BQM so we can take a closer look.

Thanks for your patience,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 24 (136 Views)

There never is a fault showing but 40mb on 200mb account is obviously not right, I have been given a discount and told it is the CMTS server so, BQM will not help but, a little communication about when the server will be re-configured or replaced would help.  It would seem that the policy is to keep customers in the dark and testing their routers and equipment when they are not at fault.  I hve been told by more than one person it is the CMTS server so, why cant Virginmedia just swallow their pride treat their cutomers with respect and give a full and frank explanation to a known fault.

FYI I have had four routers and 5 engineers including a manger call out, nothing has changed apart from everyones time being wasted.

0 Kudos
Up to speed
Message 13 of 24 (207 Views)

[ Edited ]

compman wrote:

There never is a fault showing but 40mb on 200mb account is obviously not right, I have been given a discount and told it is the CMTS server so, BQM will not help but, a little communication about when the server will be re-configured or replaced would help.  It would seem that the policy is to keep customers in the dark and testing their routers and equipment when they are not at fault.  I hve been told by more than one person it is the CMTS server so, why cant Virginmedia just swallow their pride treat their cutomers with respect and give a full and frank explanation to a known fault.

FYI I have had four routers and 5 engineers including a manger call out, nothing has changed apart from everyones time being wasted.

It IS likely to be a CMTS issue if not direct utlisation from what you said.

Dover and surrounding villages went from a superb service peak or off-peak last year to a dismal pile of ****.

Its not utlisation - its most likely QOS incompatibility or the WAY the CMTS does it. The kit here is old EOL River Delta/Motorola and thing that is annoying it used to work brilliantly on 8 downstreams now its 12 and its total garbage SLOWER than standard ADSL (thats usually a clue for River Delta if you have 12 downstreams on a HUB 3.0 but there are ways to check the MAC address of the CMTS in your Hub logs).

No word on when its likely to be upgraded, no automatic compensation. Nada.

Same as the HUB 3.0; where the hell is the firmware update to fix latency that Intel released months ago?

LIBERTY GL0B@L - As Catherine Tate's Nan sould say "What a ***** liberty!" Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 14 of 24 (122 Views)

Do you have a hub 3? You can 'sort of' tell what CMTS you have from that. If you look through the logs for any mention of a CMTS (I'm not at home to check), you will see a MAC address assigned to that. You can then search on the mac, or at least the first 3 octets and it will give you the manufacturer. Cisco or Arris is what you want to know you have something new, however with the caveat that Cisco 10k's were used in the past, so not definitive. 

Also if you use any website that can give your connection host, you can probably do a quick google to see if the number revision is in posts from days gone past, which would indicate it's old. 

Obviously it does sound like you're waiting for the CMTS to change from the issues/responses, but something to look at anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------
Look behind you, a three-headed monkey
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 15 of 24 (91 Views)

Im not as knowlegable with the technical information but I do agree and I am incredibly frustrated with the lack of information and compensation for loss of service.  There seems to be no one who wants or is really willing to help and Virginmedia certainly know whats going on !

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 16 of 24 (84 Views)

Hey man . I just read your story and is so similar to mine.

I'm on the Riverdel RiverDelta Networks CMTS , so I've been told : -

There are 4 hub sites for my area.  The guys that do the upgrading of hub sites are coming from Spain. I don't know why they're not from here.

Anyways one of the hub sites is holding up the works of all the others. They're having trouble with the landowners that are Port of Tyne.

Hub sites are also known as CMTS? Am I correct?

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 17 of 24 (79 Views)

I believe you are right although the astounding lack of info and support means it is hard to understand without inside knowledge

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 18 of 24 (106 Views)

BENWELL wrote:

Hey man . I just read your story and is so similar to mine.

I'm on the Riverdel RiverDelta Networks CMTS , so I've been told : -

There are 4 hub sites for my area.  The guys that do the upgrading of hub sites are coming from Spain. I don't know why they're not from here.

Anyways one of the hub sites is holding up the works of all the others. They're having trouble with the landowners that are Port of Tyne.

Hub sites are also known as CMTS? Am I correct?

Hub sites are the buildings which house the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System). There are usually several CMTS in each hub site.

To replace/install new CMTS, a hub site may need a bigger power supply, new air conditioning units, or even a physical extension to house the new equipment, which can all cause planning issues and delays.

Tuning in
Message 19 of 24 (63 Views)

You know your **bleep** - have a thumbs up
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 20 of 24 (55 Views)

An interesting reply which i cant argue with as I am already aware that replacing this equipment is expensive but, why make excuses for poor service.  I was getting 180Mbt download which is now 40Mbt due to an over ambituos upgrade that was badly organised and resulted in me paying for a service I dont receive.  If it costs that much to upgrade the CMTS then budget for it and do all service upgrades ar the same time so that the end user/customer does not loose service.  I stand by my comment that Virginmedia have next to no communication about this absurd situation and are keeping end users in the dark on purpose.