Menu
MF42
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Neighbours sharing my connection

My neighbour (terraced house) piggy backs their connection off my junction box. I don't know if the current occupant uses VM services but I do get a lot of problems with streaming media. Buffering/low resolution. If they did have HD multi room TV and Internet etc would I be subject to abnormal contention ratios because they are using my line from my house to the cabinet in the street?
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
chutwutt
Superfast
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Neighbours sharing my connection

what?

Do u mean that the Virgin coax connects to next door then goes to the cabinet as I have seen that before in Manchester at a uni house but ...Im guessing they must have done that for a reason....they will say it wont interfere , but if setting r wrong, it will, thats my opinion.

Id say to nextdoor ...get your own line to the cabinet...

Only way to get a accurate answer is to get an Vm installer (engineer lol) to have a butchers at the whole thing. Thats me, I dont take anyone sharing what Im payn for, dam interference.

BUT 

just in case they all start cryin at me in here like they normally do....

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Shared-Cables/td-p/2803755

Mud Wizard learnt a lot of me in ye old days!

All Replies
chutwutt
Superfast
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

what?

Do u mean that the Virgin coax connects to next door then goes to the cabinet as I have seen that before in Manchester at a uni house but ...Im guessing they must have done that for a reason....they will say it wont interfere , but if setting r wrong, it will, thats my opinion.

Id say to nextdoor ...get your own line to the cabinet...

Only way to get a accurate answer is to get an Vm installer (engineer lol) to have a butchers at the whole thing. Thats me, I dont take anyone sharing what Im payn for, dam interference.

BUT 

just in case they all start cryin at me in here like they normally do....

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Shared-Cables/td-p/2803755

Mud Wizard learnt a lot of me in ye old days!

MF42
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ok, thanks for the link. That makes sense. The engineer said that the neighbours shouldn't be on my drop cable when he installed my line inside the house but knowing how it all works I can't see it being the cause of my problems.

It's more likely to be the fire tv stick / wifi with a problem.

I didn't want to start troubleshooting my wifi if my connection to the modem was misconfigured.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

while splitting a connection is not the correct way of doing it it will not effect the bandwidth you can get. All the green boxes are is a big splitter so you are sharing the same lines with everyone anyway.

Have you tested the speed using a wired connection to rule out the wireless as the problem?
0 Kudos
chutwutt
Superfast
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

here we jolly well go...

Your going to get told now thats its normal and adjusments can be made...blar blar blah blah.

Get your own connection clean....no sharing .unless they share your bill. they are installers not engineers, get a minimal training then out to jobs.. I actually know what Im on about on the other hand.

0 Kudos
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

chutwutt you are too quick to see the worse case scenario and that is not helpful, now as a rule virgin try not to jump a connection amongst premises like this, however it is possible and apcyberax is absolutely correct, but I do agree that perhaps persuing the matter to make the neighbours connection be fitted correctly is an idea, as they normally "forget" and leave things as they are, will it help with speeds? no probably not, you might need to speak to virgin and see whats happening with that
0 Kudos
chutwutt
Superfast
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Im too quick to recognise shoddy workmanship.

thats no way to connect someone ..period.. u lot need 2 stop defending these installers whom do a half job.

NO!

0 Kudos
MF42
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

To be fair to the engineer who connected me back up to my box outside, there's little he could do as he wasn't here to cut my neighbour off and the box on the wall looks like it dates from the last century so it probably wasn't even virgin who put it in.

After more digging I think the problem I have is because I don't have 5ghz wifi along with most of the street. So the 2.4 spectrum has about 26 AP's (block of flats opposite), mostly on channel 1. I also think my neighbours have their AP directly next to mine the other side of the wall, I have a lot of drop outs if I am on the same channel as them. So they have 6 all to themselves, and a few of us are on channel 11.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

As Apcyberax has said piggybaking should not normally affect your connection. It is normally an emergency / stopgap solution to get your neighbours connected, rather than leave them hanging without a connection. As you have pointed out, sometimes there are problems like hard paving preventing VM installers providing your neighbour with their own connection, it may not be a case of "shoddy work".

Have you done any speed tests whilst connected directlt to the hub as Apcyberax has suggested?

This is the only way to test the true speed of your internet connection. It would be worth testing during the day and again during the evening to test for peak time contention.

If you are getting full speeds wired, then it indeed loos like a wireless problem which is not unsuprising considering the amount of wireless networks around you.

Which hub do you have?

The 2.4Ghz band is narrow, and can acommodate only 3 non-overlapping channels. Being on the same channel as a neighbouring channel should not cause wireless dropouts as mandatory software will sense any wireless network broadcasting on the same channel and will back off transmission until the other network is cleared. However, overlapping channels can cause dropouts. Using the  40Mhz wide channel bonding mode on the 2.4Ghz band is usually a bad idea as it takes up over half of the available spectrum making it more prone to interference.

What devices are you using to connect to the internet?  Can you get 5Ghz USB dongles for them? Switching to the 5Ghz band may provide a soultion.

Connecting them directly to the hub by ethernet cable would be a surefire way to avoid wireless interference, powerline adapters may provide an alternative solution.

0 Kudos
MF42
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I have a superhub 2, in modem mode. Unfortunately I can't afford to replace my router (Draytek Vigor 2830n v2) with anything with 5Ghz built in, not that offers the same level of VLAN separation and for my wired network. I may be able to get something cheap or just an AP to spur off it, but I really don't want three boxes in the corner just to give me a usable service...

There's no way I would have a superhub in anything other than modem mode, even if it offered 5Ghz. I had a lot of trouble with it routing, and the last straw was the more than occaisional extra long to resolve DNS queries which would make pages time out, and not being able to change away from the VM DNS servers.

The only device I have a significant problem with is the Fire TV stick, which has no wired option. I haven't noticed problems with any other wireless devices but then I only stream audio from the internet on those devices. iPlayer in the TV buffers a lot too, thats on the wired network, but is also a 1st generation smart tv so the fact iplayer works at all is amazing, all other streaming services abandond the platform a long time ago.

Speed tests usually come out OK, I don't have the results to hand but will dig them out and post some later.

0 Kudos