Menu
ricardo_cs
Joining in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Neighbour affects my internet speed

Hi,

I have been experiencing this issue since I got Virgin:

Why my internet speeds depends if my neighbour is in or not? If he is in, my internet speed is 0.4 Mbps download...

One thing that sorts it is turn the router off and on again but have to do this 2/3 if not more times a night but that is not a solution...

I should have a constant internet speed of at least 50 but ideally always 70 Mbps since that is what I pay for.

Is this just bad quality from Virgin service, faulty router... any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Neighbour affects my internet speed

is he piggy backing onto your wifi?

check connected devices and change your wifi password, plus disable your guest network

0 Kudos
ricardo_cs
Joining in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

No, I checked and nothing, all devices are mine.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

is your wired speed also bad ( that rules out wifi interference ) , if so, you need VM to look at total load on the local street box when your neighbour is busy uploading/streaming/ torrenting./ running his own youtube channel.. whatever he gets up to 

0 Kudos
ricardo_cs
Joining in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Yes, no changes! I have several devices connected by cable and if I connect the laptop with RJ45 (CAT6) no changes... this is really an issue with Virgin.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi ricardo_cs

Welcome to the community.

Many apologies that you are experiencing slow broadband speeds.

I've checked your connection, the line and hub have come back as fine. There are no faults reported and the traffic on the network is running low.

I can see that you are running the Super Hub is modem mode. Are you using your own router for the wireless network?

If so, have you tried disconnecting your equipment and completing a speed test directly to the Super Hub?

Let me know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
ricardo_cs
Joining in
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Samatha,

yes I did, had my laptop plugged in directly to the virgin router as modem but also did a reset before to use it as a router and no change. If I turn it off and on, the speed is good but if I stop using for an hour the Internet is really slow. I have to be honest and I wonder is the speed is shared and if only the new IP gives me the speed I pay for, if I do not use and the neighbour is pushing for more he gets it...  The router I am using is a Linksys WRT1200AC so is even better router then the built one.

Anyway, I tried all combinations possible and no change. One thing that always sorted the turn it off and on but many times I am upstairs, even in bed and need to come down to turn the device off and on and back to normal.

many days I need to do this several times a day.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi ricardo_cs

Thanks for the quick reply.

The next time you notice the speed drop can you post your router information please. To do this type in 192.168.0.1 in the address bar, no need to sign in, on the top right you will see router status. Within here you will have downstream, upstream and network log. You can copy and paste this information, that would be great.

Also it will help us further if you can set up a Broadband Quality Monitor. If you do set up the BQM make sure that you go into your router settings > Advanced Settings > Ping > and tick Respond to ICMP echo requests sent to WAN IP.

Speak soon
Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

are you physically linked to the neighbours install i.e. has an engineer tapped one cable to add another ? - take a look at outside the houses and trace the incoming-from-street cables, post photos if you think you are linked. That is sometimes done as a temporary fix so if the engineer then "forgets" to come back & do it properly...

0 Kudos
ricardo_cs
Joining in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam,

Internet has been good until this last week where it started to happen again... I took some screenshots of the router status as requested:

4PM photos were today, mid-night was on Tuesday (very early Tuesday) and 9.20PM were from 16th of August.

49660B33-19AE-4BCF-B2B5-A21A97D4A0F6.large.JPG26504763-AD52-4824-9C4C-00FAAF91D095.large.JPGBCCAA103-3062-4599-B169-3D8BCAC62F3C.large.JPGC056E749-C232-47ED-A570-F1725435BF99.large.JPGE08E08F7-D7DC-41E6-8355-4F592ACB3DA0.large.JPG58C9F76B-90CD-47C2-9BF2-30A5E1E7D423.large.JPG

0 Kudos