Menu
G_BAMFORD99
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

My internet connection .

My internet connection is slow and erratic, sometimes I cannot connect at all, does anyone have a solution/cause?

0 Kudos
G_BAMFORD99
Joining in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

broadband connection

Hi,

Could anyone suggest why my broadband fluctuates so much. Sometimes I cannot connect sometimes the speed falls to less than half of normal. My service speed is 200mb/s, but I normally get 40-70 mb/s, I use a wireless connection.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: broadband connection

hiya @G_BAMFORD99 with wireless you normally get around half your broadband speed, since there is so many things that can cause signal interference, to get closer to the full speed need to be using AC wireless hardware. if your using a laptop etc..could get something like ->http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/store/wifi-adapters/wifi-usb-adapters-ac/#content you should get 200mbps via wired connection
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@G_BAMFORD99 Please don't create multiple threads for the same issue, it just clutters up the forum and won't get your issue resolved any quicker.  I have merged your two threads.

I'd recommend a wired test as the best way to get a true picture of what speed your line is able to achieve. It also helps to pinpoint if the issue is with the wireless or your line.

Are you seeing slow speeds all day or only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends)? Some areas are suffering with over utilisation, which results in very slow speeds at peak times but full speed at off peak times.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi G_BAMFORD99, 

Thanks for posting! I am sorry to hear that your connection is slow and erratic, I apologise for any troubles incurred. I promise to do my best to help get this resolved.

I have tested the connection from here and I can see that both of your upstream power levels are too high. In order to resolve this for you an engineer will need to attend and carry out some further investigations for you.

I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required to proceed with making the booking. Please respond to me there and I'll get this sorted for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi G_BAMFORD99,

Welcome to the forums, I'm sorry to see you have been having trouble with your speeds. 

I have taken a look and it seems your upstream power levels are too high. I would like to get an engineer out to have a look at this for you. 

I will pop you a PM to get this arranged. Keep an eye out for the Purple Envelope, top right hand corner. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos