Menu
outernet
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

My average speed on the 100Mbps since the 14th January. 4Mbps. For 40 Days.

I'm not looking for a resolution from the Virgin Media team, or condolences, or a discount, or money back, or anything for that matter, but if I can help even a single person avoid the frustration I've faced (on numerous occasions, this being the latest and most annoying), then this post will have served its purpose.

The 4Mbps stated in the post subject is actually deceiving, there's been several days where the speed went up to 10-13 in the last week which has helped keep it up, but for the majority of time it's been under 3. Tonight, for example, it is 0.56. From the 2nd of Feb to the 16th the highest speed registered was 2.9.

I aired some of my frustration in another post but really it deserves a thread of its own, so I can vent it all and highlight in full glory just how useless Virgin are as an ISP.

No doubt, there'll be the VM customers who don't have an issue who might drop in to say how lucky and trouble free they are, and of course it will only be a matter of time before some, frankly, annoying forum stalwart comes along with an equally annoying and useless answer about how it's not Virgin's fault, or something in the same blame-evading vein which contributes exactly nothing, except more irritation to those of us who feel the service we receive is completely unnacceptable, given the money we pay for a particular service.

No, I'm not looking for anything from Virgin because I've had enough and will be moving to another ISP in a couple of weeks, at the cost of a new line installation, activation fee and a new router, all coming to just a shade under £300, but worth every last penny!

Goodbye, Virgin. It's been... awful.

Here's a shot of my speeds for those interested. I feel for every one of you out there who are also subjected to such pathetic speeds. Our leisure time is invaluable and a lot of it now involves the internet, and Virgin are a source of constant frustration to far too many people who just want to get in from a day's work, and browse the damn internet.

Virgin Media terrible, terrible ISP.Virgin Media terrible, terrible ISP.

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: My average speed on the 100Mbps since the 14th January. 4Mbps. For 40 Days.

What was the cause of your problem, did you get it diagnosed? Looking back at previous posts your network segment was found to have no problem.

It would be a shame if it was something simple like power levels which could have easily been solved.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I agree with cje85 that it would find out the cause of the problem before jumping ship.

From your speedtests I see you are getting poor speeds during the morning which would indicate a problem other that contention, like a power level problem that can be easily fixed. However, a technical problem does not mean that you do not have a contention problem as well, but it would be wise to find out.

It hasn't been stated if the speedtests were done over a wired connection, could even be a wireless problem, in which case you will in all likelyhood get the same speeds with your new ISP as you are getting now.

Without knowing what the problem is you cannot make an informed decision.

0 Kudos
outernet
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

All fair points; the tests were done primarily on wireless, but did several tests over a wired connection - usually at the request of a VM support chap - which mirrored the wireless speeds.

It's too late to find out what the cause was as the order is in motion with my new ISP and I have an engineer date for the line installation. I experienced similar issues and outages/slow speeds in my last property as well, though, which was in a different area. I didn't want to go with VM this time around but the previous owners were with them and there was a choice of waiting several weeks or giving Virgin a second chance and getting the internet in a matter of days.

To be honest, if it is an issue with power levels then I'd still be leaving; at no point during my many calls to the customer services team over this period did any of them suggest anything outside of changing my wireless channel (¬_¬), or resetting my router. I was told that there were engineering works going on in the area, which at first had a resolution date of the 8th Feb, then the 22nd, and now who knows. Whatever it is, power levels or something else, it hasn't been handled by their support in anything approaching an adequate service. I mean come on, do they really think changing my wireless channel is going to resolve the particular issue I've been experiencing...

0 Kudos
voicon
Up to speed
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The trouble with VM first line off shore aren't technical, they follow scripts and can't deviate from these. I spent a few minutes with one of them arguing that the IP address changed when the SH was in modem mode, he told me it didn't then asked a colleague and quickly changed his tune. I also spent 2 weeks with them saying there wasn't a problem in my area with over utilisation until I got through to a 2nd line person who finally found it on some spread sheet.

0 Kudos