Menu
storrm
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

My Twitch viewers constantly seeing buffering

Hi All,

I've been with Virgin for over 18 years now and will say from the get-go that I've always had good internet service from them.  On this note, I want to make it clear that I'm not pointing the finger of blame at Virgin, but I would like help from you as my ISP to hold someone accountable for the problems I'm having using your service.

I've been streaming to Twitch for a couple of years at relatively high bitrates on the previous 152Mb tier package (3000-3500Kbps, 1080p, 30fps) and on the whole haven't had too many complaints.  My stream shows 0% packet loss so when someone has said "hey, its buffering", I can generally say its something wrong at their end not mine.

However, recently I upgraded to the Vivid 200Mbps service and now everyone complains that my stream is buffering.  My packet loss is still 0% and I'm streaming to a London server, but even if I watch my own stream back live, I'm getting buffering as well.  It makes no sense.  I'm aware that the Internet is a connection of multiple high-ways and interconnects, but somewhere within this hodgepodge is a problem that is causing my service to deteriorate passed an unacceptable level and I would like to know how I find out who it is so I can raise my complaint with them.

Taken from the Twitch website on how to try to resolve streaming issues ;-

"Call your ISP. Work them to understand the route they are providing to our site. If they'll do a traceroute, have them try live.twitch.tv and explain the results such as the number of hops and the response time - more than 100 ms is a big concern for live video. Explain to them why you purchased the high bandwidth package that you did: to play games and watch/stream videos over the Internet. Ask them to connect directly with Twitch."

So Virgin, please help me prove where the problem lays, or give me the tools to provide the proof to you.  Thats all I ask.  Is it really so hard in todays day and age for the technology to tell you where this problem is and fix it?

TIA
Matt.

PS please dont ask me to lower my bitrates.  I've tried that and buffering only starts to stop when using <2000Kbps which isnt good enough for even a 720p stream.  There is a reason I pay for 200/12mbps Smiley Wink

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
storrm
On our wavelength
Message 20 of 22
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: My Twitch viewers constantly seeing buffering

Its a little late, but to close this thread out, my problem was resolved by being given a good price on the new 'gamer' package which guarantees 20Mb upload and no restrictions.  This has fixed my problem just in time to save me from going to BT.  I'm a happy camper once again.  I got a new Hub 3.0 sent to me as well which is actually pushing my download to 222Mb/s!  Not sure if this is due to the gamer package or not, but I can confirm its rock-steady and no more Twitch/Youtube issues.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

On a serious note without pointing blame and what not, have you considered moving to BT for streaming (providing you can get infinity2) as the tech VM uses for the Internet isn't very good for upload and BT would be able to offer you better / more.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
Xaero
Joining in
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I have the same problem. I haven't streamed in a while so I don't know when this garbage started but as soon as my kbps hits over 1500 - 2000 it starts buffering and yet my bandwidth goes so much higher than that. All my settings are perfectly fine and I'm having zero dropped frames, it just freezes / buffers constantly for no damn reason. I checked my ping to twitch's London server and I get 22ms so it isn't that either.

I'm in the PO15 area if that helps.
0 Kudos
storrm
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Well, I've been streaming to youTube tonight for 3hrs at 4000Kbps (1080p). After 3hrs I noticed the stream becoming choppy.  A quick speedtest.net and wow, my 12Mbps upload has become 4Mbps!  This is just ridiculous.  Where in todays modern world do companies think I am in the minority for streaming to services such as Twitch or YouTube?  Basically I'm buying bandwidth that I am unable to utilise and I feel totally cheated.  To me it feels like a huge case of misleading advertising as you pay for x but get y after you've read the small print.  If I honestly thought I was doing something out of the ordinary then I wouldn't even be mentioning it, but is streaming classed as strange?

0 Kudos
storrm
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I've just seen that I can now receive Infinity2 and the cab is just 40yrds from my house. I guess I'll have to wait to hear from Virgin what they would recommend before I give it a go, but its nice to have options.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hmm I completely missed that you might be hitting VM's hourly upload caps (which to be honest are not exactly hard to hit)

If you dropped to 4MBs that means you hit the cap twice so on the 65% reduced rate.

0 Kudos
storrm
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

1080p requires 4Mb to look half decent. Anything less and you start to see a lot of pixelation. So basically its impossible to use VM for streaming at a half decent quality for longer than an hour. Wow. gobsmacked. However, thats actually not what this post was originally about. When I am streaming I still get problems with viewers being buffered. There doesnt seem any sense to this which is still why I would like to get to the bottom of it. But regardless, even if I do manage to find out where the issue lays, the biggest problem is that even though I am on the top package from VM, traffic shaping prohibits me from accessing the full potential of my upload speed because as soon as I use even only 1/3rd of its capacity for longer than 1hr, I get throttled. Doesnt seem fair to me.
0 Kudos
storrm
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I dont know how often these forums are monitored by VM staff, but I would really welcome some input on this problem I'm having and whether or not there are any reasonable solutions that can be offered.  

Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

They aim to reply around 2 days after your last post on the thread. Best to leave the thread for a bit till you get a reply from them buddy.

Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Storrm,

I've just checked your connection and everything looks fine from here. Your power levels, SNR and area contention are all healthy and I don't see any instances of traffic management. 

Were you uploading anything else at the time you saw these speeds? 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos