Menu
Norajg
Just joined
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Massive slow down in download speed in 2016?

Hi,

I've had 50mb broadband for years and never had a problem with download speed. Nothing has ever hung no matter what device I use - virgin tv, laptop, Ipad, hudl, mobile phones, now tv etc. However since the start of 2016 the download speed has reduced significantly to the point that everything now hangs all the time? I now can't watch a film without constant spinning circle? What is going on? Something has clearly changed or there is a fault. Just ran a speed test and got less than 1mb!!!? I have done all the suggested fixes - nothing has changed.

Virgin can you please investigate and respond? Probably much like many others on the forum, we only stick with you because of the broadband speed - no other reason. Need it fixed ASAP!

For info I live in bs15 9sp.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Massive slow down in download speed in 2016?

Hi Norajg,

Thanks for your post letting us know about your slow performance issues, they come at a bit of surprise as all tested well from our end.

Let's see if I can help get these issues resolved, how are you connected, are you wired or wireless?

If you're wireless then it would be helpful if you could try a speed test with the Hub connected directly via ethernet, we recommend speedtest.net for this, then post back here with the results for us to see.

Do the speeds seem to slow down at all times of day or just specific times?

I look forward to hearing from you, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Grumpy-old-man2
Just joined
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I just joined for ONE reason, to query WHY like other contributors, VM broadband has slowed down drastically over the last 2 months

Is it because like all providers, they are finding it hard to meed the massive demands for streaming services like Net-Flix, or is it due to serious under-provisioning of the "fat pipes"?.  My feed (I believe) comes to the green cabinet in the street by fibre, then arrives in my premises via coaxial cable ( a hang over from the NTL TV days) so where are the bottle-necks? My terminal is the "super hub" this is fed directly to two PC's via ethernet cable to gigabit ethernet cards, so no bottle neck there. My internal network speed is well in excess of 300mbits/sec, so no hangup in the LAN.

Like previous posters, I get long breaks 1-2 mins, serious slowdowns when watching podcasts, i do NOT watch any other streaming video, have no iplayer or net-flix. I pay for a XXL service, quite a lot of money, I am currently getting slower service than XL, My internet was once was the envy of a BT fed friend, the boot is now on the other foot, his is in general faster, with fewer slowdowns... WHAT IS GOING ON?

Mick.

0 Kudos
Prof72
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Did you get this resolved? I am just experiencing this problem. I can go from full 200MB to 5MB then back up to 200MB all verified by speetest.net

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5396504095.png

0 Kudos
Drantis
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have had this issue for 6 months now.  I live in NW London and have speeds of up to 150 yet on a peak evening time at least 2 - 3 times a week for a few hours it drops to under 5mbs.  I have complained several times and get differing answers as follows.

Virgin India.  Haven't got a clue and don't bother fault finding but just schedule another Engineer.

Virgin Wales.  better customer service but were more keen on giving me discount to get me off the line.

Virgin Ireland. best of the lot.  Told me that due to works on the new 200mbs upgrade across the Virgin Network they were rerouting the flows down pipes {best tech speak you are getting} so instead of a "Usual" number of households being supplied by your pipe lots and lots more households are tapping the bandwidth.  I literally ring up every month now and get a 1/3 refund until they sort it.

D.

0 Kudos
Drantis
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

meh twice posted

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Drantis,

Really sorry to hear this.

I'd like to investigate this further for you but I'm unable to locate your account information at the moment.

I've sent you a private message so that we can chat some more.

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Rancid
Up to speed
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Drantis wrote:

I have had this issue for 6 months now.  I live in NW London and have speeds of up to 150 yet on a peak evening time at least 2 - 3 times a week for a few hours it drops to under 5mbs.  I have complained several times and get differing answers as follows.

Virgin India.  Haven't got a clue and don't bother fault finding but just schedule another Engineer.

Virgin Wales.  better customer service but were more keen on giving me discount to get me off the line.

Virgin Ireland. best of the lot.  Told me that due to works on the new 200mbs upgrade across the Virgin Network they were rerouting the flows down pipes {best tech speak you are getting} so instead of a "Usual" number of households being supplied by your pipe lots and lots more households are tapping the bandwidth.  I literally ring up every month now and get a 1/3 refund until they sort it.

D.

Wouldn't it be refreshing if you could just get a straight answer from these people.
Instead of the merry go round that are these forums and customer services.

Area 21 SW16 crap speeds for 12+ Months... current fault F004332018, Complaint COM101113771 Ignored, VM code of conduct Ignored... Avoid VM at all costs
0 Kudos