Menu
A_Stewart
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Massive disparity between wired and wireless speeds.

I’m experiencing huge differences in performance between wired, and wireless devices with the new virgin hub that I have just set up.

I can achieve 200+ Mbps via wired connections on PC / Mac, but I’m averaging between 20 to 35 Mbps via Wi-Fi.

I’ve tested on a Pixel C tablet using the 5Ghz, and 2.4Ghz, as well as running speed tests on LG g5, 2 Windows laptops (one with an external NIC & antenna), and IOS devices.

All speed tests were completed via the same web based tool.

I’ve basically shut down every other electrical device in the house to make sure there was no interference – but it doesn’t make a difference. I wonder why the huge difference?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Massive disparity between wired and wireless speeds.

Interference can come from outside your house so you can't always control that.

The only thing VM are likely to suggest is trying different wireless channels, they have a guide here.

There is also a sticky post at the top of the "Networking and Wireless" board with good advice:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Getting-a-better-Wireless-Network-Signal...

I believe that the Hub 3 ships with both the 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz bands using the same SSID and some people have found it better if you rename the two bands to have different names.  Perhaps adding a 2G or 5G prefix to the names as VM used to do with their older routers.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
A_Stewart
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply - I've checked what other networks were "visible" and moved my networks to different channels to clear any interference.

There are no networks on the 5Ghz, and only 2 on the 2.4Ghz and they were both several channels each side of mine.

I might have to contact VM directly to try to resolve this issue.
0 Kudos
Slamber
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The best wired speed I have ever achived on my 200Mb service using SH3 and a laptop was 216Mbps. Was therefore pleasantly surprised to see this wireless speed on my new Galaxy S7 in the same room as the SH3 yesterday.

1. Screenshot_20161205-124513.png
0 Kudos
A_Stewart
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

that's great - I can still only get about 30 -45 Mbps!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Every wireless environment is different. Every wireless device is different.

VM are fulfilling their end by supplying the speeds which you have proved. No ISP guarantees wireless speeds however due to external factors they can't control.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
A_Stewart
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Shafreya for your very helpful reply.

Virgin are banking on the speed being their USP for the new Hub 3.0.  - It's just I'm not getting it - even when sat 1 or 2m away from the hub, and after long periods of waiting on the phone to talk to someone about the issue, it still isn't any better.

Capture1.JPG

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

have you tested the wifi with any other device that the one you mention - speed of wifi is very much dependant on the device and is little to do with VM - if you are getting full speed wired then theres not a lot VM can or will do - wifi is up to you - dont know the device you mention and it may be that 30meg is all its capable of 

this is worth reading

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/CM9tv3pjTfQ

Tony