Menu
Thwaker
Tuning in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Massive Bufferbloat and Slow speed in Area 21

Hi

I've had ongoing problems with my connection since it was upgraded to Vivid 200 (the 150 was great !), the lines never achieved more than 140Mbps (less than the old 150...), but for the last 2 months it's been getting worse. I mean less than 10% (<20mbps to 0mbps) of advertised speed worse... I've had to install a backup 3g connection to the router as it's faster and more reliable !

Like most Virgin Customers I'm very used to the "reboot your cable modem.... script" - But even that isnt helping..

It looks like there is Massive BufferBloat going on combined with shocking slow speeds - My line hasn't exceeded 30Mbps in a month ... and cease to function completely at least 4 times a week...

dslreports checker shows how bad this is (and by the VM reports of all tests im not alone)

(Note: The results above 20 where when I had AQM and CODEL enabled on the router which does help !)

perf2.JPG 

Anyone know how to get through to a reasonable person in T2/3 support ? - Indian T1 are just scripted and it doesn't help... Although the last T1 support person said it was due to "having lots of new customers in this area" which is a really bad excuse ....

0 Kudos
Thwaker
Tuning in
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Massive Bufferbloat and Slow speed in Area 21

It's six months on from when this problem began ... and it has never improved, in fact its got worse and worse .... now we hit a HUGE 7mbps from 1400 to 0200 which is a massive 3.5% of the package bandwidth! Ive learnt to live with the speed drop, but worse over the last few months the speed has dropped to sub 16Mbps a second for 14hours a day combined with Massive BufferBloat which results in additional latency in the 1200-1900ms being added to packets (That's 1-2 seconds !!).

These are all easily provable as I have a SamKnows box sitting next to my router - so at least all these stats are public.

Capture.JPG

The Blue Line is Speed, The Yellow bars are BufferBloat (peak latency above average) .. This is From Friday afternoon till yesterday midday. Basically the line is usable 0200 - 1400 weekdays, not usable Weekends or after 1400...

I'm guessing no one proactively monitors segments and the CMTS for peak capacity issues anymore ? .As Six months of planned congestion would appear to be a little extreme...

Calling support is useless as the India call centre have a script and will not deviate (reboot modem, revert modem to router, reboot, "ohh it's broken", ill schedule and engineer visit...), I have many engineers come to visit who say "theres nothing wrong it's just contention" - as if this makes it ok - Apparently we pay a premium price for a premium service which is not available or usable.

0 Kudos