Menu
Chris_C38
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Maddening loss of good service

I have been with virgin for some years and have always rated the connection we have had, with very few issues, but since we went to the 200mb the quality of service has dropped dramatically, I am lucky that part of my job is dealing with networks in a large taxis office, I am the support so know when someone is trying to dupe me. I have called a couple of times over the past week or so to say that. Our speeds are terrible in the evenings, something I would expect because as more and more people join the network we all know that we all share a bit and there more online, the smaller my share. But like today I called because most of the people around me are having similar issues, to the point where we are rebooting on a regular basis, today I had a support guy who said he had changed all my frequencys to make me more stable, and gave me an anology like flying a plane when going on holiday, had he had changed mine to a shorter route, really I had already explained I do this for a living but he continued to try and baffle me. I put the phone down went next door called on their account , told them the story, they put me through to this really great guy called Gavin, after most of my neighbours had benn  similarly confused behold an honest man, he apologised and told me the truth, if you are in Basildon they are upgrading a major part of the network and yes our connections my be very slow or even disconnect until march next year..   great never told us that when we all upgraded, the QOS is going to be horrendous and yet they are still selling this , lots of adverts about how quick vivid is, well not where we are.  But yes there are honest people on support at virgin, I hope you all find one eventually and hey Gavin if you read this keep up the good work. I know things have to be improved, and infrastructures rebuilt as new technology comes along, but please Virgin be honest with your customers tell your support yto explain to everyone who calls you are aware of the issue and what you are doing about it, instead of leaving us all hanging, just like your internet at the moment....

0 Kudos
Chris_C38
Joining in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Maddening loss of good service

This was great to wake up to, I have nestcams and yep my  Virgin service went down at 5:57 this morning, lost all internet connection and needed to reboot....so annoying because then I see the email from Virgin   "Unlike other major providers, we own our network, which means we can measure your connection from one end to the other. This is how we know our network has 99.9% reliability right the way to your Hub, so you'll be online more of the time. It’s all thanks to DOCSIS 3 technology, the magic in our cable " well as you can see from this forum the magic ain't working too well guys. This wasn't peak time, this wasn't snail pace slow,  this was a total loss, my neighbour is 75 years of age, I recommended Virgin to him, spend an hour in his house yesterday trying to help him, so I feel responsible that your charging him no small amount for a QOS that doesn't meet any of our expectations.

0 Kudos
Chris_C38
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Yet again last night halfway through a movie the whole connection went down, 22:30  funny enough the main reason we have the broadband is for entertainment, which tends to happen Virgin in  the evenings, as do hundreds of other people in our area, we all come home from work, we have supper, sit down and spending the rest of the evening watching the spinning wheel of buffering death......and I was down to less the 10mb on a 200mb connection. Because Mr Branson seems so pushed to be able to say he has the fastest "vivid" internet in the country, boasting speeds "UPTO" 200mb, and we know that up till now only 10% of customers have to show that speed to make it possible for Virgin to announce it, and from what the engineers say he is pushing for a 500mb service , sorry I meant to say "UPTO" 500mb service.  Well to be honest I had better service when we were all on 40mb, but now it doesn't make any difference if you pay for 40, 75, 100, or the amazing 200mb  you will still get the same issues at peak times. it seems it makes no difference what level you are on, we are all throttled by demand. I would rather have 40mb that works than 500mb that doesn't, if you can't  support the capacity you should tell the customers, especially new customers.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chris_C38, 

Thanks for the post! I am terribly sorry to hear that you've had a bit of trouble with your connection losing service. I apologise for any inconvenience, I will do my best to help get this sorted for you.

I have tested things from here and I can see that you're only locking onto one upstream channels, and there's a lot of T3 time outs inside the Hubs logs as well. An engineer will need to attend in order to get this resolved for you.

I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required in order to proceed with making the booking, please respond to me there and I'll get this sorted for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos