Menu
anthonyobrien
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Low download speed and high ping every evening

Every evening, usually after work I come home to play some games and maybe download a new one. When playing games my ping fires up to about 140 and it's so frustrating to play when it happens. Trying to download anything, my speed is about 5% of what I'm paying for, if this isn't fixed soon, I'm changing to another service. I don't pay for 152mb speeds for nothing.

Tags (2)
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Low download speed and high ping every evening

If your doing both without your own QoS then yes your ping will go up.

Some online backup can also cause your ping to go up.

If your in router mode you may then to reboot if needed you can setup a BQM.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

0 Kudos
anthonyobrien
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I don't do both at the same time, I'll just play a single player game if I'm downloading. It's always around the same time that my internet just dies and I get speeds that will just make downloading games pointless because it will take about a week to download it.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Anthonyobrien,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

sorry to hear you're getting poor speeds in the evenings. 

I've just checked your connection and there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area which will cause poor speeds and latency. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F003279079 and with a review date of 16th November.

One of my colleagues will be in touch shortly with more information in regards to this issue.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Madrox
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Had the same issue for months now Anthony. I think I added my 2 pence worth back in January...

No signs of a fix and review dates keeps getting pushed back.

I've had this reference for a while but no official update, just apologies and push backs. F003964314. This might just be for my area though.. not 100%

I did speak to someone recently on the phone as I wasn't receiving much information via emails here. I gent I spoke to said that there is a demand issue and it is being looked into. Pretty general response as usual but he sounded honest and genuine. I asked him if upgrading would get me off the "faulty line" so to speak but he said it wouldn't make a difference. I would've gladly opted into Vivid for a better connection, even if it meant paying more...

The bill has been credited every month, around a 1/4 of the total broadband bill.. Rather annoying still as I am not even receiving the best part of a 1/4 of the service, let alone the 3/4 that is being paid for. I'm hoping for a fix soon as it's not really fair on everyone wanting the service paid for and promised. I don't want to move providers as my service has been fantastic for many years, including the 2 tv boxes and 2 mobiles but its getting close to push time now. :/ Not the biggest problem in the world but 200ms ping with 5 down and 11 up makes things rather difficult haha.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
anthonyobrien
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Still getting extremely slow speeds. 3 megabits instead of 152... every single night without fail at 9pm. getting silly now. this is the time I relax from work to play games online. But I can't because the absolutely ridiculous lag. massive ping spikes up to 3-400. I had one bill credited £25. Big woop there when it has happened for a good few months. About to upgrade to vivid gaming next week and I don't even know if it is going to make any difference. I'm just sick of having to wait until 12-1am to be able to play online games without any issues.

0 Kudos
Kizza-1974
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Dont bother mate, I have the same issues on Vivid Gamer as you do. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@anthonyobrein

Upgrading will not help. Upgrading just gives your profile a larger amount it can access but if you are struggling to get it now, being allowed more won't help it.

Bear in mind you only need 1-2Mbs of (stable, not overutilized) bandwidth to play most games without lag (outside of downloading maps/updates)

Over utilization also impairs the quality of the bandwidth you actually get which is the real issue, not the fact your speeds are dropping.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
SirRichardBrans
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have been having this problem since July now. I'm signed up for 20mb but in the evenings, same as you, I get under 1mb. I was actually playing an online game now but got kicked because of high ping and decided to look online for some answers.

God only knows when the area faults everyone is having will be fixed. They've given me a revised date of 3rd of December now but I could bet anything it will be pushed back again.

I've decided to leave and waiting for my EE connection to be set up. I suggest you do the same but for the love of god whatever you do don't UPGRADE and pay more money for the same crappy service you're getting now (speeds will not improve while this 'work' is being carried out)
0 Kudos
Jamy89
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi There

I am really unhappy with my current connection. Im using the 152mb VIVD and at the time of typing im getting 3mbps down and 6 up. The ping is also high in the range of 70/110. I've rebooted the connection number of times and nothing also i have done the service status checks and that just comes up with someone is looking at the issue, but never changes.

I really need a answer for this as i'm not even getting 2% of my connection speed.

Thanks   

0 Kudos