Menu
Lucks
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Low bb speed in DY8 Norton , 04 area

For the past month I have been getting very low bb speed from around 5pm until after midnight.. Has been getting progressively worse over the month  and at times has been unusable over the Christmas period. Constant buffering when streaming  during these periods.

My plan speed is 100mps  but sometimes getting as low as 1-3 mps during evenings.

Have checked with neighbours and they are experiencing similar problems.

Any known fault issues or is this the typical  utilisation problem i.e  network unable to cope with busy period traffic.

Lucks

0 Kudos
woodfieldmark
Tuning in
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Low bb speed in DY8 Norton , 04 area

I'm in your area, and unfortunately the over-utilisation at peak times problem has been apparent for at least 12 months to my knowledge.  When I called in April 2016 Virgin stated it would be fixed in August 2016, in September they said January 2017, and today I called them to hear that this date has now been moved to April 2017 - I won't hold my breath, I think I'll just take my business elsewhere.

Lucks
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I experienced a similar degradation in download speed  from mid 2014 until mid 2015,This was also due to the system unable to cope with peak traffic. During this period there were endless reviews with clearance dates constantly put back. It would appear that VM s network planning is based on customers complaints, at which time it is too late and the system crashes. Dimensioning should be based sales forecasts and future demand  which would appear not to be happening in VMs planning .

I was in the telecoms business for over 30 years and planned networks, based on demand forecasts, to meet the busy hours traffic requirements This guaranteed a specific  grade of service to customers. We would also restrict connection of new customers on those networks which were nearing the limits of the  systems capacity. No sure if this happens in VMs case.

Like you I am considering once again to take my business elsewhere but am awaiting a response from VM, if l they bother to  reply, regarding my complaint.

Regards

Lucks   .

0 Kudos
Lucks
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The weekend has arrived . Plan speed 100mbps, Download 4.33,  Upload 6.00

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lucks,

Thanks for getting in touch, I've run a few checks on your service and can confirm that peak time is the reason for the drop in speeds. Networks are investigating on ref. F004518297 with upgrades to add capacity to be reviewed in April, we should know more on how things are progressing around then.

Kind rgds

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Lucks
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ralph.

Thanks your response .

It would appear that this problem was first noticed  back in April 2016 according to Woodfieldmark's  post above.  Can you advise if there was a  different fault reference issued back then.

Can you advise when fault ref  F004518297 was first issued and also I would be grateful if you could give me the name and email of the Director who is responsible for network planning.

Regards

Lucks 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lucks,

Fault ref: F004518297 was raised in June of last year. Woodfieldmark is connected to a different network segment so would have a different fault ticket raised (if needed).

I'll pass your details over to a team who will provide updates and advice about eligible credits whilst you await the network upgrade to commence and complete.

I'm not able to provide the personal information of the Head of network planning though sorry.

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi woodfieldmark, I can see that you have already been ad...

Hi woodfieldmark,

I can see that you have already been advised of the fault affecting you when you've called in. But F003864632 does have a current review date for 05/04/2017. 
I should point out that this is not an EFT, as failure to do so could lead to disappointment. At the moment the pre-upgrade work has still not reached completion. As soon as it does we'll be provided with a date when the actual upgrade work can commence. Until then we look at the provided 'review' date for any progress and advise accordingly.
I am sorry for the lengthy lead time but glad to see you've already had that discussion about credit.

Feel free to request updates on here on or after the review date.

All the best, 

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
StuartMil
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hi woodfieldmark, I can see that you have already been ad...

Hi Jen,

As you're active, could I ask you to provide further details on F003864632 (also in the same area) as the previous threads by multiple people seem to have been missed. Thanks :-)

0 Kudos
Lucks
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Thanks your response.

Hi

I did a search for that fault number on the forum but the only reference to it was in your response to me. Could you provide a link to the  original listing for this fault back in June 2016.

Do the planning experts in Virgin Media wait for customers to complain of poor download speeds before planning any network expansion. It very much looks that way to me having experienced a similar fault  early 2014 which was cleared early 2015.

Whilst Woodfieldmark  may be on a different segment to me  I feel there are some common Network failings affecting several segments. in the DY8 area. Could you provide more details of what the actual faults are for the   two  fault numbers. Cabinet space , fibre capacity etc, etc.

I have located the contact  details for the  Director responsible for planning and also the Chief Executive.

I will be writing to both

Thanks

Lucks