Menu
KMB79
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Low bandwidth at peak times

For at least the last month we have consistently been getting low bandwidth at peak times (typically 0.5 - 2Mbps).  It is not the line as out of peak times we are getting 18Mbps, on a 20Mbps package.

We have contacted customer services, which has resulted in a number of resets of, and uploads to, the router, which have achieved nothing.  In the last conservation, contentions problems were admitted.

Is there anything being done about this?  

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Low bandwidth at peak times

Not sure the engineer will help.  Slow speeds only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends) is normally a symptom of high utilisation/contention in your area.  This is not something that an engineer can fix on your line, it needs upgrade work to be done on the segment of the network you connect to.  A hub fault would give slow speeds all day. 

Somebody from the VM forum team should be along in a few days to check your connection and can confirm if there is a known issue with your segment of the network.  If that is the case they should provide a fault reference number which you can quote to customer services to get money off your bill for the lack of service.  They should also be able to provide a review date for the fault.  Note that it is a review date not a fix date.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos

All Replies
BrianY
Superfast
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

By any chance do you have a 'small black modem'?
[Could it be an Ambit]
I used to have an Ambit till it started getting slow at peak times!
If my assumptions correct you would be better off getting a Super Hub (SH).
Added feature of a wireless connection.
Maximum speeds would increase at a stroke.
[If above not correct, sorry for wasting your time reading the above]
0 Kudos
KMB79
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bryony

We have a Super Hub already, but thanks for the reply!
0 Kudos
KMB79
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sorry! Brian!
0 Kudos
KMB79
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Update from Sunday 28th Feb:

Download speed 1.6Mbps (at 4.00pm and 6.00pm).  At 7.40am this morning it was 18.6Mbps.  Upload speed constant (about 1Mbps).  Contacted Virgin and there is 'much contention in the area' and 'multiple problems with my connection'.  Engineer coming on Wednesday to check the SuperHub.

Just FYI we are in BL5

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Not sure the engineer will help.  Slow speeds only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends) is normally a symptom of high utilisation/contention in your area.  This is not something that an engineer can fix on your line, it needs upgrade work to be done on the segment of the network you connect to.  A hub fault would give slow speeds all day. 

Somebody from the VM forum team should be along in a few days to check your connection and can confirm if there is a known issue with your segment of the network.  If that is the case they should provide a fault reference number which you can quote to customer services to get money off your bill for the lack of service.  They should also be able to provide a review date for the fault.  Note that it is a review date not a fix date.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
KMB79
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Dear Scott

Thank you. We don't see how an engineer can help either, for exactly the reasons you give. Our power levels also look high (around 20dBm compared to suggested norms of up to 12dBm), so we think that the problems on our connection are indeed multiple.
Thank you for the information about what should happen next: it is very helpful!

Kate
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Power levels out of range does indeed need an engineer, so at least he can sort that.  Hope things improve for you sooner rather than later at peak times.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi KMB79,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you're getting poor speeds. I've just checked your connection and there are several issues here. First of all there's a contention fault in the area under ticket F003429754. This will explain the peak time drop off in speed and is due for review 23/03/16.

The other issues I can see are your downstream power levels are way too high and the upstream too low. We'll have to get a technician out to adjust the latter levels and I've just sent you a private message to arrange the best time for this.

To view your private messages just click the envelope at the top of the page. 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Lbirch
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I've got low bandwidth at other times which is driving me nuts! Trying to watch Amazon tv & it keeps buffering wish I had never switched to virgin from BT

0 Kudos