Menu
unolie
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Less than 60 mps on "superfast" is apparently not a router problem

Hi,

Just wondered if there is anything to do to boost the speed and the range of our ironically named "superhub" 2. Currently getting less than 60 mps on a speed test when meant to have 150 meg connection. When I called to say I had had enough of this poor service I was told that the router wasn't showing as needing an upgrade to the new hub 3! Just how slow does my WiFi need to get? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Less than 60 mps on "superfast" is apparently not a router problem

I would test the actual connection speed you are getting with a wired connection directly to the hub with a Cat 5e cable or better with a device equiped with a gigabit ethernet network card. I would test the speed during the day and again during evening peak period.

This is the only way to determine the true speed of the internet connection as wireless is affected by a myriad of external factors outside VM's control like range, interference, client hardware and the topography of your home. I would be aware you will need multistream wireless devices (MIMO) operating preferably on the wider, less populated 5GHz band for a realistic chance of getting wireless speeds of around 150Mbps.

0 Kudos
unolie
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Griffin for the reply - I agree with all your points and wired is clearly faster. However I sitting .5m from the hub with nothing between and on the 5ghz connection and I'm getting 58 mps!! It's pathetic and surely all customers should be upgraded to the hub 3 if it's better as we are paying for a service VM isn't providing

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Being close to the hub will not completely negate wireless interference as the hub will be receiving all wireless signals in range, on that frequency which the hub will see as noise, so your signal will still be distorted to some degree.

What wireless client are you using?

Have you got the hub set to up to 450Mbps on the 5Ghz band?

However, you will still need to test the connection connected directly to the hub to rule out any VM local circuit issues.

0 Kudos