Menu
MartinRLewis
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Less than 1Mbps...

hello forum, supposedly, I am on 30Mbps broadband. During the day, it is usually anywhere between 10 and 25, not great but workable. Until about 2 days ago, the speed in the evenings was dropping to around 3-4. The last couple of dyas, this has dropped to less than 1Mbps.

i have been in touch with tech support who got me to reboot everything, which made no difference. They asked me to reset my superhub to factory default, which made a difference for about 10 minutes.

Supposedly it is a utilisation issue, but the date they have to resolve it, is january next year. That isn't really good enough.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Less than 1Mbps...

And to make it worse for you (I'm afraid) the date you were given in January will be a review date into show far along the works are rather than a fix date.

With the nature of utilisation issues your speeds will drop in the evenings and will be back to normal ish in the mornings. Rinse repeat the cycle every day.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
MartinRLewis
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Not great, is it? Basically paying for a service that can't be used when we need to use it most.

0 Kudos
HaloUK
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I am on an up to 152mbps contract and I have been getting under 3mbps most evenings at peak times for the last 3 weeks.

0 Kudos
MartinRLewis
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Frankly, I'm a little it disappointed that I haven't had a virgin forum person reply to my thread. Its like I'm being ignored...

Spoiler
Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
DarkBahamut
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

They reply in a queue and the average reply time is about 3 days.

Given that these faults take years to fix, waiting a couple of days really isn't going to make much difference in the long run unfortunately..

0 Kudos
BBU
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I'm having the same issue and called up support last week, they just ended up sending me a new router which isn't even the problem. I'm going to call again tomorrow and ask for a refund for the entire month. Below is the speed test I did a few moments ago:

I remember being on NTL and having the same problems when the lines were updated from 512KB to 1MB. It's probably due to the next round of updates but it's unpredictable and annoying.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Martin if you want them to reply, stop replying to this thread until they do.

VM aim to reply around 2 days (longer over weekends) after the last post of the original poster of a thread.

If you need instant advice then tech support on 150 is the option however you are likely to get false promises from offshore.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
EDM_Raver
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If you give customer services a ring they'll be happy enough to talk about credits for this issue Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
cruising
Superfast
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

After getting a Welcome to the Forum message, the odds are that you will get the usual standard replies that will lead you nowhere eg try turning the box off and on / then told the  encouraging news that your signals look fine/ then you will be fobbed off with the usual "local congestion" line,

Should anything more helpful materialise then well done.......but getting your hopes up that anything will actually be resolved will only lead to disappointment.

Many posters are still wrestling with the question of  what real authority the moderators actually have to escalate the problems of the Forum Community to VM Management.