Menu
Longy9999
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Less than 10mb out of 200mb

Hi all,

We have been with VM for just over a year now and are currently using their 200mb services. From the very beginning the speeds have been inconsistent and the hub requires restarting at least 3 times a week due to the internet just stopping working.

Since the 1st of this month I have been speed testing the broadband at least 3 times a day at various points(using ookla) and the fastest I've managed to see so far was 103.77mb which was at around 2pm on the 3rd. Other recorded speeds have generally been below 15mb and in some cases even below 5mb. These low speeds are happening in the day time outside of VM's 'peak times'

Speaking to VM has proven to be a waste of time, they simply state there are no faults in the area and knock £12.50 off of the bill. We did manage to get them to send out an engineer recently who knocked off our TV services instead of looking at the hub although thats a different story entirely. They did offer to sell us another hub for £14.99 despite the fact that the one we have has never worked correctly..

We have 3 PC's in the house all connected via Cat6e cabling, the speeds are the same for each even if the other machines are turned off. It regularly gets to the point where my wife cannot even load up Facebook if I'm trying to watch a video on Youtube.

To be honest it just feels like we're hitting our heads against a brick wall, ringing them is pointless and it's not acceptable to be paying almost £45 a month for broken services and there's no other provider in our area that can give us much better than national line speeds. We have in fact threatened to switch to another ISP and the charming lady at customer support simply laughed at us and asked what we would do about our internet without them. I'll be curious to see how long their cavalier attitudes last once someone else starts providing fibre optic connections....

My question after that long rant is can something be done about this legally? Is this something that maybe trading standards could deal with? I understand that speeds are 'up to' but paying for top price for 5% just isn't cutting it for us.

Thank you

0 Kudos
C6patchman
Joining in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Less than 10mb out of 200mb

What area are you in? as i am having very slow speed & DNS issues.

0 Kudos
Longy9999
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Mansfield in Nottinghamshire. Just speed tested it again now and getting little over 7mb, nigh on unusable

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Longy9999,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

My apologies that you are having issues with your broadband connection. I know how frustrating this can be and would like to help as much as I can.

Looking at your connection, there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing slow speeds. The reference number is F004206007 and has a review date of 22nd March.

I can see you mentioned that you get slow speeds outside these hours. Are you able to complete speed tests whilst the Super Hub is in modem mode please? This will eliminate other devices connected.

Also on the PC/laptop that you are testing with, does this have a gigabit Ethernet card?

Let me know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos