Menu
jl12614
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Lag and ping spikes while playing online games such as battlefield 3

Hi,

I have joined VM for five months. The broadband is up to 200Mbps. I am satisfied with the download speed. However, there is always a lag while I play Battlefield 3. The ping shown in the Battlefield 3 is 30 to 50. However, ping spikes up to 120 can be observed sometimes.  This caused obvious lag during the game. I was really disappointed about it because I can see the lag almost every time I play the game.

I used BT (up to 76Mbps) last year and the ping was around 8 to 20  and no lag or ping spikes were observed in most of the time. 

Moreover, when I test broadband speed, I compared the data of VM with those of BT and found that my current VM has higher average ping than previous BT's data.

How can I solved the problem? Do I need VM to send an engineer to check the cable?

My region is W8,London and my area reference is 21.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lag and ping spikes while playing online games such as battlefield 3

Evening jl12614,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry to read that you are having issues with high pings and lagging whilst online gaming.

Looking at your connection, the line and hub have come back as fine. There are no faults reported and the network segment is running stable.

Is the device that you are playing on connected through a wired or wireless connection? If wireless, can you try through wired please to see if that helps.

Does this only happen on Battlefield 3, or do you notice it on all online games that you have?

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
bambamboyo
Up to speed
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lag and ping spikes while playing online games such as battlefield 3

Are you on the hub3?
If so then this is worth a read
http://m.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/03/intel_puma_chipset_firmware_fix/
0 Kudos