Menu
jalzir
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Lag Spikes 15ms-200ms+

After a horrific install process with virgin we EVENTUALLY managed to get our internet installed roughly 4days ago.

we are on the 100 vivid optical fiber service, with a 3.0 hub

Now everyone is experiencing issues with terrible lag spikes and instability. At non peak times we get 30Mbps and at peak 20-25Mbps, however we get constant dropouts and slowdowns, our ping rocketing up and speeds of 0.04Mbps, which is of course, completely unusable. On other occasions we get the internet simply down (still connected to the router, but no internet access) for 1-5 mins at a time. While resetting the router seems to stabilize it temporarily we live in a shared student property and the router is in one of the bedrooms (we can't move it) so it would be simply impractical to be resetting the router constantly.

I know there's cases of internet requiring a 'settling' period, but I have read that this is also not an issue for cabled connections such as ours.

I'd prefer to not have to buy a new router only to discover it was an issue with the connection itself, and I'd prefer to not have to purchase a new router period, but if that is the ultimate option then that's that.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Lag Spikes 15ms-200ms+

Hello jalzir,

Thanks for posting and a big welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I'd like to apologise for the poor service you've had so far, I hope I can turn this around for you.

Looking at your connection I can see that your power levels are out of range, I'll need to arrange for an engineer to call around to look into this for you.

I'll drop you a PM (purple envelope, top right) to confirm a visit.

Speak with you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos

All Replies
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Please provide the stats from the hub for downstream, upstream, and network log, lets see if the power levels are correct before we assume any other problems
jalzir
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

downstream.pngupstream.pngnetwork log.png

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello jalzir,

Thanks for posting and a big welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I'd like to apologise for the poor service you've had so far, I hope I can turn this around for you.

Looking at your connection I can see that your power levels are out of range, I'll need to arrange for an engineer to call around to look into this for you.

I'll drop you a PM (purple envelope, top right) to confirm a visit.

Speak with you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
hortonj88
Up to speed
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The 3.0 hub has/had a problem with latency/packet loss.

Not sure if the firmware was released yet to fix it.

Left VM 9th Jan 2017 due to high utilisation. Enjoying reliable services with Sky Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
jalzir
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

would it be a good idea to simply invest in another router, do you suppose? Because as far as I know the firmware isn't released and will not for quite some time, considering the track record of these sorts of issues.
0 Kudos