Menu
shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Lack of speed upgrade due to high utilisation?

Making my own thread as it's been a week now with no messages from Virgin Media. Following on from this thread http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Free-Broadband-Speed-Upgrade/td-p/3249432/highlight/false/... where Virgin Media said they would look into any faults in the area as to why the free speed upgrade keeps getting pushed back each month.

Would it be possible that someone from Virgin Media could see if there is high utilisation in the area affecting me or any other reason why the free speed upgrade keeps getting pushed back. Also if their is a problem, when that problem was first raised.
0 Kudos
ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lack of speed upgrade due to high utilisation?

As stated by a Superuser and confirmed by a Team Member on your other thread...  if the area is undergoing potential service issues that VM are working on to resolve with the network teams then yes, high utilisation is causing the delay. The network segment simply cannot sustain the faster speeds.
Virgin have vastly underestimated the state of their network. Attempts to 'fix' high utilisation problems in some areas have been akin to trying to dress a shotgun wound with a band aid!

If you recall, the 'rapid rollout' will take up to nine months – which is twice as fast as the last speed boost took – reaching 90 percent of customers before the end of 2015 and the remaining will be completed in early 2016.

Of course, you can pay to upgrade to 200Mb but you would potentially not get 200Mb due to the network issues if this is the case. In other words, Virgin will happily sell you a service that they know cannot be sustained.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening.
Contention reference "F002896495", has now become F004952644.
Ongoing since March 2014. 16 review dates... Next Review JANUARY 2018
0 Kudos
shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 28
Flag for a moderator

I was wanting someone from Virgin to look into why and give me the fault or high utilisation reference so I can then figure out some things, not a response that I got in the other thread (which isn't mine and why I started this thread). I'm sorry for being blunt but I find it disgraceful that they offer services that they can't provide to new customers yet keep delaying my free upgrade which could be useful out of peak hours.
0 Kudos
shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Anyone from Virgin? They've been answering posts younger than mine.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Not really sure what more you want.

Area doesn't nessecarilt have to be heavy utilized to delay the speed upgrade. Could just be that upgrading everyone would tip it over the edge.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 28
Flag for a moderator

An explanation to why it takes over a year to offer a free speed upgrade. I'm not going to get that so basically just a check to see if there is high utilisation in the area which may give an answer to my question. I also do suffer some slower speeds some days.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Will be quicker if you just document speed tests yourself. You will see if you have some peak time drops, all depends how severe it is.

0 Kudos
shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Can anyone from Virgin please respond?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 28
Flag for a moderator

You've just put yourself to the back of the queue by replying again. That's how the forums work.

0 Kudos
shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Couldn't you flag it for me? I've been missed twice now. First in the thread that wasn't mine and now this one.
0 Kudos