Menu
ReturnOfTheMick
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

LOW SPEED / Disconnects - Main VM junction Box Open in Street

For the past week I've been having slow speeds (20MB - 90MB) from my 150MB broadband (all websites slow / poor game connections) and random disconnects (2 -3 times this morning alone). It's probably not helping that our green box just up the road has had it's door ripped off by estate nutters and has all it's parts exposed to the elements.

Area is Leicester, LE5 and the green box in question is on the corner of Summers Road / Dudley Avenue.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6001986111

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6001999676

I see plenty of Virgin Media engineers around and about driving up and down our road and around the area but these green boxes remain with their doors missing or flapping in the breeze. Even when I've reported them in the past it can be weeks or months before there fixed / secured. Only when there's a problem reported or someone wants connecting do they get any attention. You would think with the amount of VM traffic around my area daily these boxes would be picked up on within a few days of being vandalised and fixed or marked for fixing.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: LOW SPEED / Disconnects - Main VM junction Box Open in Street

Hello ReturnOfTheMick,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear about your connection problems, we certainly need to look into getting the cabinet repaired. I'll drop you a PM (purple envelope, top right) as I'll need to arrange for an engineer to call around to resolve this.

Speak with you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
ReturnOfTheMick
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

An update on where things stand right now.

Following on from this post, I was contacted by Private Message by HeatherJ where we had quite a lengthy conversation about the procedure used to report damage to the green junction boxes and damage limitation.

Ultimately I was informed that if the green boxes are marked for repair via the conventional channels then it can take up to 6 months for them to be repaired. But IF I had an engineer visit they could fix the damage to the box within anything up to a week or two (depending on engineer appointment availability).

At the time I first reported the damage to the green box I wasn't experiencing any major issues - just the odd slow speed and random disconnect. Eventually the disconnects stopped happening but the quality of my internet has continued to degrade to the point where I am now getting just above 15MB on a 150MB connection.

Back when I reported the damage to the green box, I opted not to have an engineer visit as the problem wasn't really that bad and I really don't need the hassle of waiting around for engineers, letting them in and out all the while etc. when the problem wasn't on my property. So up until now I've waited to see if the box gets repaired and so far it hasn't.

During my conversation with HeatherJ I pointed out that if priority was given to repairing these green boxes when they are first reported then issues like this could be prevented from escalating, saving VM money in the long run. This is a copy of the last message I sent via PM to HeatherJ

[removed]

And here I am now (just as I predicted I would be) with a connection that has continued to degrade to the point it's becoming unusable.

I have ZERO doubt in my mind that the issues I am having are as a direct result of the green box being left open and exposed for a period of at least 5 months. Everything was performing great until some nutter ripped the door off because insert insane estate nutter reasoning here leaving the equipment exposed to all the elements from then until now.

Prior to the local nutter ripping the door off the green cabinet, my internet was working more or less floorless. I was consistently getting close to 150MB and had no issues with slow speeds or disconnects. Only a month or two before the cabinet got damaged I had an engineer out to rectify a separate issue where the router wouldn't connect - a fault which was ultimately traced back to that same green box but in the process of tracing the fault he renewed all my cables and connections around the property back to the router so I know nothing is at fault on my property like I knew it wasn't last time.

Basically I'm now saying "I TOLD YOU SO" and now I'm going to be going back to customer services to complain about the service and to claim compensation for poor service I'm paying full whack for. I'm paying £38 per month just for 150MB broadband - bearing in mind I started out on 100MB at around £30 per month. I took the free speed boost to boost me to 150MB and slowly VM boosted the bill to match. So much for FREE!

I warned VM this would ultimately turn out to be the case and I (along with everyone else) are the ones paying for it (and other cases like this) in a round about stealthy long run way.

Instead of fixing the problem when it was first reported without shoving the burden of an engineer visit on a customer when the fault is outside of their property (because its the quickest way to get it fixed) it has now lingered on and continued to escalate as I said it would. Now VM are facing the cost of compensating me (and whoever else) plus whatever cost to repair the damage including the engineer time which will be considerably more to find and repair any issues than to simply replace the door.

No doubt when I phone up to sort this all out I'll be expected to go through "Level 1" tech support - "turn the router off, turn the router on - is it working now"? before VM decide to send out an engineer. Yet another pointless step and waste of my time. This is most likely why no one else in the area has reported any issues. It's just too time consuming and intrusive booking and waiting around for engineers.

I'll wait in for this engineer, no problems will be found in or around my property and off he'll womble to the green box where low and behold the fault will be found - like it was last time.

In the end I'll have had a wasted day waiting in for engineers and the compensation I'll get as a result of the bad service for that period will be coming out of my own pocket ultimately via the broadband price hikes. Now let's suppose VM get 100 cases a day like this and they pay out an average of say £50 compensation to each customer with issues arising from faults that could have been prevented early on. Now I know why I'm paying £38 per month for the 100MB I originally started out on at £30 per month inc a "free" speed boost.

This is the last speed test I ran this morning. I'm loving my free speed boost. It's just awesome!

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6210951521

[MOD EDIT: Private message has been removed from this post. Please do not post private messages in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Although open street cabinets are unsightly, it shouldn't cause an issue with your connection speed.

In the US, cable equipment is often overhead and constantly exposed to the elements, instead of in cabinets.

main-line-with-2-coax-drops.jpg

0 Kudos