Menu
swigg
Tuning in
Message 1 of 37
Flag for a moderator

KT5 - Surbiton/Kingston 0.36 mbps download Speeds - Fault F003355483

We have had really poor speeds over the past week - particularly at weekends from 10am through to 10pm.

I contacted VM and we did (1) router/modem reset (2) some update was sent over the line - the net result of this was that my speed dropped from from 2-3mbps to 0.3 mbps.

The call centre guy said there were utilisation problems, and then finally came up with a known fault number F003355483 - and said that this was being worked on by the network team and should be fixed my mid-April.

However, looking on this forum I can see reference to this fault back in November 2014 - so I am a bit confused as to when this will really be fixed. Another date mentions a fix for this fault expected by 25th March 2015.

Would be good to know what is really happening.

Cheers

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 37
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: KT5 - Surbiton/Kingston 0.36 mbps download Speeds - Fault F003355483

some updates were sent over the line - sorry not true - they can look at the SH - maybe change a channel setting or such - but updates - NO - just offshore talking rubbish

utilisation dates are a thing of mystery - the next date is likely to be a review date - they do get sorted but can take months/years 

all you are seeing maybe utilisation but its worth checking - are the speed tests wired or wireless - alway test wired and do that with the SH in modem mode with a pc running in safe mode

post some settings

log into superhub - 192.168.0.1 - DON'T SIGN IN, click router status [top right] - and post the downstream and upstream figures

Tony
ickthwart
Tuning in
Message 27 of 37
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just spoke to VM customer relations and tech support as fault was not rectified on 18th January 2017 as indicated.

Wait for it, the new review date is 3rd May 2017. That's right, May!!

I'm lost for words at the incompetence of this company. The worst bit is, they don't proactively contact you to tell you the fault is ongoing - you have to ring them. Plus they wont tell you what the real problem is. Why cant they add capacity? How hard can it be??

Stop selling people '100' Mbps broadband when you cant even deliver 1 or 2 Mbps at peak time. Should be illegal....

If you are experiencing this issue, make sure you ask for full service credit every month until it's fixed. That's what they just gave me, for what it's worth.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 37
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

some updates were sent over the line - sorry not true - they can look at the SH - maybe change a channel setting or such - but updates - NO - just offshore talking rubbish

utilisation dates are a thing of mystery - the next date is likely to be a review date - they do get sorted but can take months/years 

all you are seeing maybe utilisation but its worth checking - are the speed tests wired or wireless - alway test wired and do that with the SH in modem mode with a pc running in safe mode

post some settings

log into superhub - 192.168.0.1 - DON'T SIGN IN, click router status [top right] - and post the downstream and upstream figures

Tony
swigg
Tuning in
Message 3 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply - and concise explanation. I was trying speed test with wired rather than wireless - but didn't have safe mode/ modem only etc. So here goes as per your suggestion:

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG 

And my updated speedtest results - upload is much better than download it would seem!

Any advice on meaning of upstream/downstream figures appreciated.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 37
Flag for a moderator

power levels are covered here

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Set-up/POWER-LEVELS-amp-SNR-TECHNICAL-PRIMER-Apr-2014/td-p/22712...

can be heavy going but worth the read if you want - short answer to yours are ok

you say you are suffering utilisation and that will reduce your speed in peak hours but not to the levels you are seeing normally - there looks to be little wrong your side if that last test is in modem mode - if you keep late hours it would be worth a further test in modem mode in the early hours or if you are an early riser the same early in the morning

if they give better figures then it looks like utilisation is as bad as it gets

it takes VM a few days to get to threads - they can look much deeper and you will get the truth - not someone who says he has sent this or that

in the mean time if you have not already done so talk to retentions about a reduction in your bill - quote the fault number you have and the start date - they can backdate any reduction or seem able to - some customers have got that - others struggled - once you have established a rebate you will need to ring each month to get the current month - that will be until the fault is resolved 

that may or may not be you only problem with speed - what you post as from the speed test looks poor but only VM can now take it forward really

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - you are thinking of leaving us - dont worry about that they do much more - open 'till 8pm - 6pm on saturdays - closed sunday and the plus is its a UK call centre

Tony
swigg
Tuning in
Message 5 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tony. My last test was modem mode, wired, with PC in safe mode. 

Doing a quick test this morning - wireless/not safe mode, numbers look a bit more usable-

0 Kudos
swigg
Tuning in
Message 6 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Looks like broadband has gone again in KT5 - is anyone from Virgin looking at these forums to resolve/respond to issues? Is this really a utilisation issue on a Tuesday morning?

0 Kudos
swigg
Tuning in
Message 7 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Just abysmal - apparently this will be fixed by the end of August.

0 Kudos
swigg
Tuning in
Message 8 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Abysmal - in Area 03 - KT5 Speed 0.25Mpbs

Just re-raising my previous threads in the hope that somebody in Virgin will action this - I thought they responded to posts here....

So here we go again. Please can Virgin respond to my concerns about very poor broadband speeds.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/KT5-Surbiton-Kingston-0-36-mbps-download-Speeds-Fault-F003...

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
imkemp
Joining in
Message 9 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Another KT5 checking in. Awful service and very inconsistent. Tried 150 and I couldn't even get through as they are too busy to accept calls.

For what it is worth I have the same speeds...
0 Kudos
swigg
Tuning in
Message 10 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the update.
0 Kudos