Menu
jra505
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 71
Flag for a moderator

Just moved to HP3 - slow speed

Just moved house from Watford to Hemel Hempstead - was (and still am) paying for 100mb service and when in Watford I pretty much always got it. Now I'm in the new house and I'm only getting around 70mb on a good day, and on a bad day I get 5mb.

Is there a known problem in this area?

Thanks,
jra505
0 Kudos
jra505
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 71
Flag for a moderator

Re: Just moved to HP3 - slow speed

Having done a search for HP3, I can see that this is by no means an isolated case and has been going on since February?

When is it going to get sorted?

The problem is that at busy times the speed goes through the floor. I'm no expert, but that sounds like a utilisation issue to me.
0 Kudos
BigManA
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 71
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Whilst I can't say anything about your particular area, what I can say is that you are one of many customers that is suffering from the issues with the broadband speed. Just taking a look through this forum will give you a clear indication of how many other areas are affected by this. I've been told for near a year that my speeds will improve but haven't. I can perfectly get near 100Mbit connection at 8 a.m. but by the time it's 8PM I'll be lucky to get 8Mbit.

It is a utilisation issue, promises for fixes are always broken and you'll keep being told that it'll be fixed by said date but never does.

Just my 2 cents.

It took a year and five months for me to get my speeds back from over utilisation!
jra505
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 71
Flag for a moderator

I spoke to virgin a couple of evenings ago about this issue, and was asked to reset my router. When this made no difference I was put on hold for a bit and when they came back they told me that there is a "network error" in the area and it had now been reported and would be fixed in two days.

So, I'll be sure to be checking it this evening!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 71
Flag for a moderator

reset your router? - that sounds like offshore so take the 2 days with a salt mine - it certainly sounds like utilisation - offshore will give you fix dates which is complete rubbish - wait for VM here - the news may be no better but you will get the truth - fix dates are review dates and they can move many times into the future - if it is confirmed utilisation you will get a fault number and a reduction in your bill - not what you want but thats as good as it will get in the short - medium - long term

you could post the upstream and downstream levels from the SH just to make sure all is as it should be there

Tony
0 Kudos
jra505
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 71
Flag for a moderator

How long does it usually take to get a fault number?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 71
Flag for a moderator

Whenever VM reply.

Can take 2-6 days depending on how busy they are.

Every time you reply you will go back to the end of the queue though so leave the thread alone for a bit.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 71
Flag for a moderator

Hi jra505

Thanks for posting on the community.

Sorry to read that you are experiencing slow broadband speeds.

From checking your connection, there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing slow speeds. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F003487020 and with a review date of 21st September.

One of my colleagues will be in touch shortly with more information in regards to this issue.

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Mayne77
Tuning in
Message 9 of 71
Flag for a moderator

Virgin media are shockingly bad in the hemel area. I would go as far as fraudulent. I joined in dec 2015 and noticed the exact same issue you have. I called them within the first few days and was told it was utilisation and would be fixed by march. March came and went and was then told may. May came and went and i was then tokd september. The issue being that the cables in hemel need to be updated. So whilst they offer 200mb they cant provide it. So they are lying and gaining business for a services they are knowingly cant achieve. Even now a new customer looking for broadband in hemel will un wittingly choose virgin because of these blatent false speed claims. To top it off i asked to cancel recently and keep in mind ive been contacting them since my installation, i was told i cant without a full charge forvthe contract. The agent admitted to me that the contract that virgin get you to sign is worded in such a way it makes it near impossible to get out of. Virgin media you are crooks! Disgusting!
0 Kudos
jra505
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 71
Flag for a moderator

When will I hear from the other colleague?

And will I be getting a discount on my monthly bill until this issue is fixed?

0 Kudos