Menu
Giggz
Tuning in
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Just joined but already being capped in a evening?

Hi I joined VM yesterday on the 200mb vivid package. Speed I got once the engineer had finished:

5442407169.png

All great downloading from Steam at silly speeds etc until it got to 5pm my speeds suddenly dropped to anywhere between 15 and 40 mbps whilst running speedtests. I plug in with a lan cable and all test's where done directly plugged into the hub.

I dealt with live chat last night and he just factory reset the hub but that disconnected him and the speeds didn't increase at all.

I've tested again this morning before work and it's back upto 205mbps.

Can someone check if the congestion threshold is being hit in my area (14)

I hope it was a one off but if it continues over the next week then I might have to cancel as atleast with plusnet I got a constant 65mbps no matter the time of day. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: Just joined but already being capped in a evening?

Slow speeds only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends) is normally a symptom of high utilisation/contention in your area.

Somebody from the VM forum team should be along in a few days (up to a week) to check your connection and can confirm if there is a known issue with your segment of the network. If that is the case they will provide a fault reference number which you can quote to customer services to get money off your bill for the lack of service. They should also be able to provide a review date for the fault. Note that it is a review date not an expected fix date and some customers affected by this kind of issue have been waiting years for a fix.

If you want a consistent speed then I'd suggest cancelling during your 14 day cooling off period and going back to Plusnet for now.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi Giggz, 

Thanks for posting!

Let me start by welcoming you to our forum community!

I am sorry to hear about your issues with your connection speed being slow in the evenings, these types of problems can cause some frustration. 

I've had a look at your connection from here and I can see that there's a number of time outs inside the Hubs logs, this raises a cause for concern. I would like to arrange for an engineer to attend and carry out some further investigations.

I will send you a PM (Purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required to proceed with making the booking. Please respond to me there and I'll ensure this all gets booked and secured for you.

Speak soon, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Giggz
Tuning in
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Engineer has been today and couldn't find anything wrong with the tests he ran on my equipment, however he did say I'm only getting on average 29% of my speed in a evening and it should be closer to 80% in peak times. He's given me fault code F003907381 and advised that Virgin need to fix something else where i.e green box or at the exchange to resolve this but he couldn't give me an ETA on when the work would be done. 

Does the code count towards a discount on my bill for not getting the speed advertised? 

I've sent you a pm back Adam with this info on.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

First mention of this reference F003907381 I can find is Jan this year. It's a contention fault which means you're in for a very very long wait to get it sorted. There are cases on here that have been going on for nearly 2 years. The service has been oversold and they haven't got the infrastructure to support it.

What's worse is they sold it to you when they already knew there was a problem.

0 Kudos
jnoble100
Dialled in
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Yes that will get your the discount - but it's generally not a great discount and doesn't reflect the level of loss of service.  Try pushing for a higher discount.  The frustrating thing is that you now have to call Virgin monthly to get the said discount.  It doesn't automatically get applied.

0 Kudos
ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi Giggz,

Reference F003907381 is indeed a contention fault which means you're in for a very very long wait to get it sorted.

I note your first post was two weeks ago which means you are outside the 14 day cooling off period. You could, however try exiting your contract under the 2015 VOLUNTARY CODE OF PRACTICE: BROADBAND SPEEDS

Ofcom updated the Code to include additional commitments from ISPs to provide estimates in the form of a range and to give consumers the right to exit their contract without penalty within a three-month period of the start of their contract (or longer if the ISP so chose) if the actual speed was significantly below the estimated speed.
Ofcom notes that some of the principles of the Code are not relevant to all technologies used in supplying fixed access broadband services. For example, on cable networks, the access line speed is expected to be consistent with the headline speed.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening.
Contention reference "F002896495", has now become F004952644.
Ongoing since March 2014. 16 review dates... Next Review JANUARY 2018
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi Giggz

Thanks for posting back on the community.

The reference number you were given is in regards to high peak time traffic fault. The review date is showing as 7th September.

One of my colleagues will be in touch shortly with more information in regards to this issue.

Apologies for the delay and inconvenience caused.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Giggz
Tuning in
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I've upgraded to the gamer package today to see if this would resolve my issue as it states no traffic management, Upload speed is now at 22mbps. Download wouldn't go above 20mbps whilst testing averaging at:

Spoken to tech support and he checked the fault code and issues in the area, I've now been told that it's due a network fault and it'll be resolved by the 21st Sept and not the 7th I was told previously.

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Don't expect it to be fixed by the 21st. These faults frequently drag on for a year or more. The phone staff will always give you a supposed fix date, but these are really just "review dates" and will be pushed back. 

0 Kudos