Menu
jotei66
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Just had my service upgraded to Vivid 200 - question

Hi,

Cutting a rather long story short, I called CS to see what offers would be available to me if I upgraded, basically the initial deals CS offered were extremely poor. However, I upgraded my service due to a retention's offer which was a great deal and I decided to stay with Virgin Media.

I was previously on the 50Mb service and the engineer has just called this morning to install the upgrade and replace my router to the Hub 3.0 (as well as new TV box's)

The problem is the speed of my broadband is no different than it was before, speed tests (from various testing sites) are giving me my usual speeds of 50Mb?  Does the upgrade of your speed take a few days to "kick in" or should the speed increase be instant upon installation?

I've tried rebooting, but my speed still stays in the 50Mb range. Obviously I realise I probably wont get the full 200Mb diue to various things .. peak times, congestion  etc etc  but I was kinda expecting atleast double my 50Mb speed

Any help apprciated

Steve

0 Kudos
tvadikt
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Just had my service upgraded to Vivid 200 - question

Hi

I am no expert on this so I am giving my best guess!

What device are you using to access the internet, and are you wired or on wi-fi. The speed you obtain can depend on both these factors. I too am on VIVID 200 but on many devices (Ipads, phones etc.) over wi-fi, only achieve speeds around 50-70MB. This is due to the hardware inside the devices rather than the internet speed. The best way to obtain accurate speed readings would be via a wired Ethernet connection to a modern PC

Give it a try if you can and see if there is a difference Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

hiya @jotei66 speed increase should be instant, would best to check what the hub is reporting, if you could goto http://192.168.0.1 clicking router status top right [no need to login] and if can copy/paste the downstream, upstream, operational config. dont worry about the formatting we can easily read it.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
jotei66
Tuning in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

paultechy wrote:
hiya @jotei66 speed increase should be instant, would best to check what the hub is reporting, if you could goto http://192.168.0.1 clicking router status top right [no need to login] and if can copy/paste the downstream, upstream, operational config. dont worry about the formatting we can easily read it.

Ok yeah I wasn't sure if speed increase was instant or not,  as I ain't upgraded in a while

I'm pretty good with configs with routers and stuff as I'm a PC gamer. and build PCs.  My gaming PC is connected via Ethernet and the Router status is showing as:

Cable Modem Status Item Status Comments

Acquired Downstream Channel(Hz)
Ranged Upstream Channel(Hz)
Provisioning State

Which seems right for a Viviid 200Mb connection I think? 

@tvadik - thank you for reply, but yeh I connected via Ethernet. To be honest my iPad / Android phone has rock solid connection at my old speed via WiFi, luckily my WiFi connection in my home spot on.  

Its just the speed being the same?? Maybe its a locality thing, where I live?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

yeah you're on the correct package, i would be running a few e.g. traceroutes to see if there is a bottleneck, since it will take around 3-5 days for a forum admin to check your area for network utilisation
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
jotei66
Tuning in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

paultechy wrote:
yeah you're on the correct package, i would be running a few e.g. traceroutes to see if there is a bottleneck, since it will take around 3-5 days for a forum admin to check your area for network utilisation

yeah ill try a traceroute, altho I'm thinking something not quite right (maybe over utilisation in my area, hope not) and II will probably try and give CS a call later today.  to see if they can shed any light on it . Should there be any traceroute bottlenecks I can also highlight them to CS. Cheers anyway ;0)

0 Kudos
shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

paultechy wrote:

How can you tell from what they posted if they are on the correct package?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

jotei66 wrote:

I'm pretty good with configs with routers and stuff as I'm a PC gamer. and build PCs.  My gaming PC is connected via Ethernet and the Router status is showing as:

Provisioning State

@tvadik - thank you for reply, but yeh I connected via Ethernet. To be honest my iPad / Android phone has rock solid connection at my old speed via WiFi, luckily my WiFi connection in my home spot on.  

That's the frequency, not the speed. Look on the router status page. Max traffic rate, under downstream and upstream primary service flow.

Dave.

0 Kudos
jotei66
Tuning in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

HiVMBye wrote:

jotei66 wrote:

Provisioning State

That's the frequency, not the speed. Look on the router status page. Max traffic rate, under downstream and upstream primary service flow.

Dave.

lol yeh Dave - just realized I copied frequencies - copy n pasted wrong values, duh ...

All sorted though now, nothing I could of done my end anyways, they had not activated the speed increase - 1st tier guy had to go through usual troubleshooting stuff via remote desktop (which I had done already, but like they have too as matter of course i guess) Over 30 mins later no result, then transferred to tier 2 who realized my new speed needed sending to my router (and needed activation)  Thanks for your help tho peeps - appreciated ;-)

0 Kudos
captainbirdseye
Tuning in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

You are not alone Steve. I have the same problem, supposedly 200mbps and a new super hub 3, absolutely no difference to what I was getting before, 40mbps wireless and 60mbps with Ethernet cable. Are we being taken for a ride by VM? Customer Service says overutilisation in the area, rubbish!

0 Kudos