Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 11 (136 Views)

Just got installed the new hub, which boots in... 4+ minutes? What's wrong?

[ Edited ]

The new Virgin router was installed in my house last week (before that I had the previous one). With my previous router Internet was up by the time my computer finished booting.

With the new one, all the startup apps yield super annoying offline error messages by the time computer finished booting, because, Internet takes actually OVER 4 MINUTES to start working after the new router is turned on!!

This feels like coming back to the 2000s 56K dialup modems. Is my router not working properly? What should I do?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 11 (188 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by zibizibi1
Friday

Re: Just got installed the new hub, which boots in... 4+ minutes? What's wrong?

The Hub 3 runs completely different software to the older versions and connects to more channels, plus there are some lag issues with the Intel processor it uses which can all add to the start up time. But really it's designed to be left on 24/7.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 11 (108 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by zibizibi1
Friday

[ Edited ]

zibizibi1 wrote:
I see there's no way to easily turn wireless off. Good job Virgin, I mean why bothering with protecting kids health? It's superfluous!

It's another good reason to put the hub in modem mode and buy a decent router.  My Asus router has a button on the side to turn wi-fi off and on whenever you like and also in the software you can program a timer to switch wi-fi on and off at set times.  So our wi-fi automatically gets turned off at night even though the router remains powered up and then turns back on in the morning ready to greet us.

Speaking of timers, you could buy one of those timer plugs and set it to turn the hub off and on to suit your sleeping times and then it could be all ready for you booted up when you get out of bed.   Smiley Wink

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

0 Kudos

All Replies
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 11 (123 Views)

Leave the hub permanently switched on, most people do.

Electron
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 11 (116 Views)

That's not practical for me who turns wireless off during the night, I like to switch off the plug connected to my computer/router/everything and go to bed. Plus that's a workaround not a solution, I mean why is the router so horribly slow to boot?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 4 of 11 (112 Views)

zibizibi1 wrote:

That's not practical for me who turns wireless off during the night, I like to switch off the plug connected to my computer/router/everything and go to bed. Plus that's a workaround not a solution, I mean why is the router so horribly slow to boot?

Why does my Nexus 5x mobile take longer to boot than my 1990's Nokia 3310?

0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 11 (189 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by zibizibi1
Friday

The Hub 3 runs completely different software to the older versions and connects to more channels, plus there are some lag issues with the Intel processor it uses which can all add to the start up time. But really it's designed to be left on 24/7.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 6 of 11 (86 Views)

Fair enough, but 4 minutes? There are reasonable limits no? Imagine it actually takes 10 minutes to boot would you say the same thing? No. So there are limits. 4 minutes is fine for professional usage, for the general public it's a complete joke.

Btw young kids' developing brains aren't huge fans of continual bombing with this kind of high energy waves so giving them a night break is kind of a good idea...
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 7 of 11 (78 Views)

it could take 30 minutes to boot and would make zero difference to most people as it's meant to be left on 24/7

0 Kudos
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 11 (73 Views)

zibizibi1 wrote:

Btw young kids' developing brains aren't huge fans of continual bombing with this kind of high energy waves so giving them a night break is kind of a good idea...

My router is located about 1 metre from where I sit at my computer and it's had no effect on my brain ... wibble  Smiley Tongue

I am a bit worried about the third ear I seem to be growing though.

Electron
Joining in
Message 9 of 11 (70 Views)

I see there's no way to easily turn wireless off. Good job Virgin, I mean why bothering with protecting kids health? It's superfluous!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 11 (109 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by zibizibi1
Friday

[ Edited ]

zibizibi1 wrote:

It's another good reason to put the hub in modem mode and buy a decent router.  My Asus router has a button on the side to turn wi-fi off and on whenever you like and also in the software you can program a timer to switch wi-fi on and off at set times.  So our wi-fi automatically gets turned off at night even though the router remains powered up and then turns back on in the morning ready to greet us.

Speaking of timers, you could buy one of those timer plugs and set it to turn the hub off and on to suit your sleeping times and then it could be all ready for you booted up when you get out of bed.   Smiley Wink

Electron
0 Kudos