Menu
jwintermute
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Just completely fed up with awful peak-time speeds

Looking at other posts in this forum it seems I'm not alone. I'm paying for 100Mb and my Xbox just reported an astonishing 1.8Mb. It's connecting wirelessly and can usually muster between 20 and 30Mb during the day, which I'd be happy with. But in the evenings I can't play multiplayer games, and if I stream video from Amazon then I might as well be watching a third-generation VHS copy from the 80s. 

I've tried a wired connection and I'm getting a whopping 3.79Mb. :

5703640716.png

Wired. Imagine what wireless will be

I might as well downgrade and pay for the lowest speed package. Honesty, Virgin, this is unacceptable. I appreciate not getting full speed at peak times but this is appalling. Slow is one thing, but this is virtually unusable.

Sometimes it's fine, it seems that lately though it is consistently bad at peak times. Just don't know what to do ... 

I'm in London SE7 by the way

0 Kudos
jwintermute
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: Just completely fed up with awful peak-time speeds

From C- to D+ Smiley Happy

5703744096.png

0 Kudos
jwintermute
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Come on Virgin this is just unacceptable. 7:45PM and this is the best I can get?

5706337561.png

No point even turning the XBox on

Two nights on the trot that broadband's been unusable. What can I do?

Oh I know - wait for the 150Mbs that they're going on about when I log into the website.

Hold on tight Your speed boost is almost ready!
Your connection speed will increase from up to 100Mbps to up to 150Mbps. It's all thanks to DOCSIS® 3 - the magic in our cables.

Coming in November. That's a 50% increase, so I might just get 5Mb in the evening. Super! 
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hey there jwintermute,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing slow speeds, I know this can be frustrating.

I've just checked your connection and I can see that we're currently working on a fault in your area under ref: F003470470 which is due for review on the 21st Dec. This type of fault can be responsible for reducing the speeds during peak times (evenings and weekends) and to rectify this we need to undertake upgrades on the network to support the level of demand in your area. 

I do apologise for this. Thank you for your patience. If you have any further questions, please just ask.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
precky66
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 28
Flag for a moderator

So your fault is the same as everyone else's. Utilisation it's a joke m8. The date they gave you 21st Dec will come and go but no fix . I can put money on it . Had the same problem for years , lost count on fix dates (review dates ). I'm on 663 ping 0.78kb download and upload is everywhere. So you've got good speed ls my eyes lmao really . I've got a survey running in speed section see how many there is . And actually fix . Not seen many fixes . Good luck with the dates m8. Ya gonna get more .
jwintermute
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Heather for the reply. I'll put the date in my calendar and see how it looks then

Cheers

0 Kudos
jwintermute
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 28
Flag for a moderator

precky66 wrote:
So your fault is the same as everyone else's. Utilisation it's a joke m8. The date they gave you 21st Dec will come and go but no fix . I can put money on it . Had the same problem for years , lost count on fix dates (review dates ). I'm on 663 ping 0.78kb download and upload is everywhere. So you've got good speed ls my eyes lmao really . I've got a survey running in speed section see how many there is . And actually fix . Not seen many fixes . Good luck with the dates m8. Ya gonna get more .

Yes I notice that a lot of people have this problem. If it does carry on like this I'll either downgrade my package to the lowest speed (which is probably still faster than what I'm getting), or just go elsewhere. 

It's a shame cos the speed is astonishing during the day.

0 Kudos
precky66
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Well I downgraded to see if it would help . Now only on kb can't watch movies or play online. Plus if you want to go back too your old speed they want you to sign a new 12 month contract. Be careful also you don't get a good refund on your account. If you do downgrade then go back to 200mb if they don't supply you with the speeds you can get out of the new contract. Don't know how hard it would be. Told by virgin if you ring more than three times with the same problem you can cancel. You will not get a fix date just a review date. I have had a load each one is 3 months apart . But good luck and be careful
0 Kudos
precky66
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Classic phone call to virgin media 10 mins ago
I rang them because I was on 0.43kb ping 66 forget upload. Here is what was said.
Virgin= how long have you had the problem
Me = over 5 years
Virgin = when did it start
Me = over 5 years check my account
Virgin = so when did it start
I gave up and hung up what's the point in phoning when you get script readers at the other end. One big waste of space. And only ever got a reply off tech support, off the forums a couple of times. So I'll never ever ever ever get it fixed . Going spending money tonight on a new ps4 game. As I took Virgins word for it. 14th September is a definite fix date not a review. Yeah should change the name too
Pinocchio media. Lol
0 Kudos
jwintermute
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 28
Flag for a moderator

precky66 wrote:
Well I downgraded to see if it would help . Now only on kb can't watch movies or play online. Plus if you want to go back too your old speed they want you to sign a new 12 month contract. Be careful also you don't get a good refund on your account. If you do downgrade then go back to 200mb if they don't supply you with the speeds you can get out of the new contract. Don't know how hard it would be. Told by virgin if you ring more than three times with the same problem you can cancel. You will not get a fix date just a review date. I have had a load each one is 3 months apart . But good luck and be careful

I will see what happens when I get upgraded to 150Mbs, which is currently by the end of November. Maybe there'll be some upgrading when that's done. If it persists then I'll have a look at what speeds people are getting locally from other suppliers. I imagine heavy peak usage isn't a problem just for VM.

What is your advertised speed then? Surely you can take it up with the regulators?

0 Kudos