Menu
coughandcath
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Issues with 2.4 ghz

Had a great service for ages and would have recommended it to all my friends . However an issue has started to develop with the 2.4 ghz service . It is unreliable and keeps dropping even though I am still getting a reliable 170mb service on the 5ghz system . Can someone explain how to resolve as previously got 190mb on the 2.4 ghz band . Can't just swap all devices to 5ghz .... is it time to change something ? Router or service ? 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Issues with 2.4 ghz

By default most VM routers seem to be set to channel 6 in my area which can make the 2.4Ghz channel very congested. Try setting your wifi channel to something much lower or higher and see if that improves things.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
0 Kudos

All Replies
Guybrush85
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You think you got what on 2.4Ghz again? I can pretty much say with a degree of certainty that you did not get that on 2.4Ghz.

If you can (i.e the hardware supports it and range is not an issue), then I would swap all devices onto 5Ghz. I'm annoyed that I still have one device that still needs 2.4Ghz.

Just for reference, I have a Netgear R7800, which is 'theoretically' capable of 800Mbps throughput on 2.4Ghz (so half would be considered good), but in reality the clients that we all use don't get anywhere near that. My phone and Mac for testing purposes were able to get 110Mbps on a speedtest and that's a lot for 2.4Ghz. I'm also in an area where my router set to auto set my band to 40Mhz, so you're not going to get much better.

--------------------------------------------------------
Look behind you, a three-headed monkey
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

2.4 Ghz is crowded as its pretty much used  by everything. Not sure how you managed to get 190mb on 2.4, but you'd have at least had to be using a 40mhz wide band which would have taken up a lot more space on the available bandwidth and therefore more susceptible to interference from neighbours.

Grab a wifi scanning app and use it to see what the wifi where you are like is, also do you have any baby monitors or other devices that can cause interference.

5Ghz at present is a lot less congested and can mange higher speeds, but at the cost of having less range.

0 Kudos
coughandcath
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi , my mistake , best I have had on 2.4 ghz was 90 mb . I have had 210mb on 5ghz . My issue is the reliability of 2.4ghz as it keeps dropping out . My sons  laptop and PS4 don't seem to receive 5ghz but not really wanting to change them yet . Could it be that the router has had it ? 

Butler85 wrote:

You think you got what on 2.4Ghz again? I can pretty much say with a degree of certainty that you did not get that on 2.4Ghz.

If you can (i.e the hardware supports it and range is not an issue), then I would swap all devices onto 5Ghz. I'm annoyed that I still have one device that still needs 2.4Ghz.

Just for reference, I have a Netgear R7800, which is 'theoretically' capable of 800Mbps throughput on 2.4Ghz (so half would be considered good), but in reality the clients that we all use don't get anywhere near that. My phone and Mac for testing purposes were able to get 110Mbps on a speedtest and that's a lot for 2.4Ghz. I'm also in an area where my router set to auto set my band to 40Mhz, so you're not going to get much better.

0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

By default most VM routers seem to be set to channel 6 in my area which can make the 2.4Ghz channel very congested. Try setting your wifi channel to something much lower or higher and see if that improves things.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Here's the link to change the channel ... I forgot to post it 😵

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

0 Kudos
Guybrush85
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You should be setting it to either 1, 6 or 11. I would personally recommend using a wifi analyser to find out which band is lest congested and work it that way.

Although above all this, I still recommend using 5Ghz if the client accepts it and range isn't an issue.
--------------------------------------------------------
Look behind you, a three-headed monkey
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Get a wifi analiser app for a phone and see which channels are free, better then just choosing a random channel and hoping.

0 Kudos