Menu
MrJambo
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Is this right?

So, I had my 100mb fibre broadband installed on Wednesday after lots of issues with engineers etc. (Don't ask lol)

My question is..

The engineer has got the cable from the ground going to the brown box on my house. Which then comes in to my house but it also goes into the house behind me ( back to back terrace). Will this affect my speed, I feel I'm sharing my connection with someone else ?

I've been speed checking it at all times of day and I can't get over 40mb, even at 3am.

The Virgin cabinet is less than 15 feet from my property so that isn't an issue I don't think.

Any clarification is greatly appreciated ive never had cable so sorry if this post is nonsense etc.
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Is this right?

How are you testing - wired or wireless?

Only a wired connection can confirm that the full 100Mb is being delivered to your home.

Wireless speeds are reliant on your equipment and the local wifi environment around you that you share with your neighbours.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

How are you testing - wired or wireless?

Only a wired connection can confirm that the full 100Mb is being delivered to your home.

Wireless speeds are reliant on your equipment and the local wifi environment around you that you share with your neighbours.

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Its common for customers to share one brown box as having multiple brown boxes on a wall would look messy.  Have you done a wired speedtest?  40meg is common for laptops with a poor 1x1 antenna

0 Kudos
MrJambo
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Oh right. My xbox is wired and that was downloading at 30-40 I've been using the ookla speed test on my phone. I will try a wired test when I get home.
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi and welcome.

Well the reality is that you are ultimately sharing a connection and therefore available bandwidth with everyone else connected to the street cabinet.  Don't worry there's no security implications.   The slow speed could be down to over-utilisation in the area or an issue with your power levels.

Can you post your Upstream and Downstream data and someone can check if they are within specification.  To do so, enter  192.168.0.1  into the URL of your browser to enter your hub's management ... do NOT sign in but click on Router Status and there you will find the data pages.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos