Menu
ChrisJenkins
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Is this level of Pre RS errors normal/acceptable?

My 220 MBit service went down this morning and I had to restart my SuperHub. Afterwards I noticed that the Pre-RS error counts were incrementing rapidly. I reset the counters and monitored and in a 20 minute period I saw the following values accumulate:

Pre RS Errors 15756 9119 11494 14132 14585 18244 17304 16899

Post RS Errors are all 0

I am not currently noticing any problems or slowdowns but this level of errors, and the rate of increase, seems abnormal to me.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Is this level of Pre RS errors normal/acceptable?

Hi Chris,

That does seem an awful lot for just a 20 minute period, but at least there are no post RS errors so it's not all bad.

Can you post your Upstream and Downstream stats so we can see your power levels please.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi ChrisJenkins, 

Thanks for getting in touch to let us know about your issues with your Pre RS errors, I apologise for any troubles incurred. I will do my best to help get this sorted for you.

I have tested your connection from here and I can see that your Hubs logs show a number of T3 time outs across a few of the upstream channels, I would like to get this investigated further for you by one of our engineers, I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required in order to proceed with making the booking.

Please respond to me there and I'll get this sorted for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos

All Replies
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Chris,

That does seem an awful lot for just a 20 minute period, but at least there are no post RS errors so it's not all bad.

Can you post your Upstream and Downstream stats so we can see your power levels please.

Electron
0 Kudos
ChrisJenkins
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Here they are:

Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 08.41.53.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-25 at 08.42.21.png

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Right, well now that I can see the images there doesn't seem to be anything obviously wrong with the power levels or SNR.  The Upstream power levels are towards the high end but still within the acceptable range of 31 to 51dBmV.

I'm intrigued that you have 4 rather than 2 Upstream channels connected.  Which hub is it?

Electron
0 Kudos
ChrisJenkins
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'm on the 220 Mbit service. I believe it is a SuperHub2 (see below):

Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 11.21.31.png 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

When you think about it, the pre RS errors are not that great. At 200Mbps 240 billion bits would have been received by the hub in 20 mins, so 15,000 errors is a very small percentage.

The DOCSIS specs states that the codeword error should be better than 9 x 10 *-7 which equates to some 216000 errors over 20 mins. As said above, the RS algorithm has corrected these errors so no deterioration of service should be expected as you are experiencing. More on error rates here.

However, the relative high amount of Pre RS errors would suggest that your downstream is not quite as clean as it should be, so it would be worth keeping one eye on it.

On a side note, all SHs should be capable of 4 upstreams as they must support 4 upstream channels to comply with DOCSIS 3 specifications..

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi ChrisJenkins, 

Thanks for getting in touch to let us know about your issues with your Pre RS errors, I apologise for any troubles incurred. I will do my best to help get this sorted for you.

I have tested your connection from here and I can see that your Hubs logs show a number of T3 time outs across a few of the upstream channels, I would like to get this investigated further for you by one of our engineers, I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required in order to proceed with making the booking.

Please respond to me there and I'll get this sorted for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos