Menu
nicholsr
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Is there an ongoing problem in the Portsmouth area (area 20)

In the PO4 area I was reliably getting 20 to 30 Mbps until late last week when we had a spate of getting 1 to 2 Mbps and pings in the many 100s of milliseconds.   Now we seem to be back to a good pings but the speed is between 5 to 10 Mbps and has been all day today, including before 7 am this morning which I assume is not peak time. This was measured with an ethernet cable.   Is there and ongoing problem or is it just me?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is there an ongoing problem in the Portsmouth area (area 20)

Hello nicholsr,

Thanks for joining the community, great to have you on-board Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear that you're getting slow speeds, I know this can be really frustrating.

Checking your area I can see an open fault under ref: F004888576 which is due for review on the 3rd May. This fault might cause you to experience slow speeds during peak time hours (evenings and weekends).

I sincerely apologies for this, please keep in touch for updates.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
abdussr
Joining in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Heather_J

Im having the same problem, this issue needs to be reviewed and genuinely needs to be fixed. Not carried over to another review date. This has be a priority.

Thanks

0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Yep, same here. I live in PO4. Broadband was not too bad in the evenings because I was regularly checking the speed just before signing a new contract. This week it's so bad that it started dropping out entirely — it's like someone flipped a switch and we become the latest postcode to suffer. There's no way I can wait until May for a "review" (that's not a fix by the way) because my eldest daughter is currently studying for her GCSEs and needs a stable internet connection to access online coursework/revision notes. I'm going to cancel my contract if it's going to take until May to just to "review" it because that's totally unacceptable.

The problem is clearly that VM are taking on too many customers when they are unable to provide the service due to lack of capacity. Once VM run out of capacity they should stop selling into an area and wait until they've "fixed" the problem. Unfortunately, what they do is pile on more customers and make lots of promises about "review" dates and "fixes" that keep on getting pushed back.  

I had exactly the same problem with VM just over 2 years ago and it took 8 months to be fixed .

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Just thought you'd like to know that I've just spoken to VM customer services on 150. The fault in my part of PO4 is due to be fixed on 29 March. If you ring VM and speak to them you can get a discount due to diminished service and sign up for text updates that will notify you on the progress they're making towards a fix.

Just waiting for someone on the VM forum to get back to me on my own post. It'll be interesting to see if we've both got the same/different faults.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi abdussr,

I'm sorry to hear that you're also experiencing issues with your connection.

I've looked into this and you're currently affected by a fault concerning a high demand for our service in your area, under the reference of F004759476, with a review set for 07/06/2017.

I've sent you a private message so that we can discuss this further.

Speak to you soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi JPL8,

I've responded to your thread for us to chat some more about this.

Speak soon,

Nat_J

0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I have a different fault to you guys, F003957459, so we're in different parts of PO4. It's been open since October 2015 and is scheduled for review (according to forum) or fix (according to customer services) on 29/03/17.

Fingers crossed ...

0 Kudos
pete7049
Well-informed
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

There's no such thing as a Fix Date (No matter what the call centre tells you.), only Review Dates (Which mean nothing, as far as getting things fixed go.).

F003443743. December '14 - May '17.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi there JPL8,

As mentioned by pete7049, we are unable to provide any fix dates in relation to faults experienced within the area, as there are many factors to consider, construction, etc.

Many thanks,

Nat_J

0 Kudos