Menu
Superuser
Message 91 of 217 (563 Views)

Re: Is it just me or is VM plagued by over sold services, so called over utilisation faults, see inside..

cje85 wrote:

Many of the Areas are made up of different parts of the country which can be 100s of miles apart, for example 'Area 14' might include Birmingham, Newcastle and Glasgow. Each utilisation fault generally affects perhaps a few 100 customers in part of a town, rather than the whole of the VM area code.

@cje85 there is roughly 30 area codes that cover the virginmedia network, big cities like Glasgow (my home town) has its own area code of 28, since the area codes are back from the days of ntl, telewest blueyonder, nynex etc etc.. 

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 92 of 217 (546 Views)

Re: Is it just me or is VM plagued by over sold services, so called over utilisation faults, see inside..

foobarbaz123 wrote:

What even happens during a review? Why do the dates just get pushed back?

Tea. Biscuits. And jolly hockey sticks in a conference room deep in VM HQ. I believe that prayers are said so that the magic little pixies might come and fix the problems. Those might well be alternative facts, but they might as well be the truth for all the difference it makes. 

VM will tell you that assessments are made about how bad the problem is, what needs to be done, what's been done, planning permission, digging up roads/pavements ... And then a whole bunch of techie stuff that they don't explain what it means, but as a customer you're supposed to lap up and nod along sagely to as though everyone understands exactly what it is that's being discussed. They're very good at making excuses for doing nothing rather than finding reasons to get on with the job.

Basically, I think they look at whether or not it's actually worth fixing the problem. It's a cost/benefit analysis. How much will it cost to fix? How many people are affected? What can VM's competitors offer by way of competition? Is it faster than the 5–8Mbs customers typically get with an over utilisation fault? Etc.

What I can say for certain is that where I live in Portsmouth (PO4) there have been utilisation faults ongoing for over 3 years with different reference numbers. The last time it was "fixed" I was told that some new downstream channels had been added, but VM refused to tell me if they'd done anything else because that was business sensitive information. Either it wasn't enough or it was taken away again because the fault reappeared under a new number 3 months later.

In the time I've been living here (15+ years) VM have never done any work on my local cabinet that's involved digging anything up. I can see it from my bedroom window and I have to walk past it every day on my way to work. The only noticeable thing that they've done is repaint it from dark green to light grey. Whether or not that made any difference to its performance ... well, you'd have to ask VM that question. Perhaps that was the "fix" they made a couple of years ago ... Once the planning permission for that particular shade of corporate grey had been approved, of course.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
Dialled in
Message 93 of 217 (514 Views)

Well, had enough, email off to the CEO dept, getting 18meg plus the Hub keeps dropping all our devices forcing us to reboot - rediscover and add every device again along with the password... utter nightmare. I will also be looking to inform some kind of trading standards as this service should not be sold in its current state, God only knows how many people are being ripped off right now and despite the billions V.M is making there's zero effort to fix/upgrade just C.S trained to lie to their customers "oh well, if the services were working correctly then we'd be charging you a lot more..."

Dialled in
Message 94 of 217 (502 Views)

0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 95 of 217 (437 Views)

Tommey,

Update on fault Number F004807455, review was supposed to be 12/07/17 I reported earlier.

Just today received a message from 'Ralph, community moderator' that states:

'The current fault F004807455 has a new review date of 06/09/17'

So it now appears that they are even 'moving' reviews months before they are even due for review!!

God only knows why, no explanation given..

On our wavelength
Message 96 of 217 (410 Views)

[ Edited ]

NG15 03.01.2018.

So it looks like that letter I received a month ago saying they were doing work in my area today was another crock of. My 100mb service limping along at about 8mb this evening. Still only another 8 months until the next review date...

Sadly due to BT incompetence, my house is listed as the only one in a street of 30 houses that can't get infinity. It's total nonsense but I've never come across a more complete 'computer says no' organisation that Openreach.

So crap and expensive as VM is, I've literally nowhere else to go.

0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 97 of 217 (395 Views)

[ Edited ]

Monday nights 'blazingly fast Docsis3 award winning internet' from VM I pay for 70 meg, and this is what I get, yet my 'review' gets moved, 2 months before it's due!!

http://www.speedtest.net/result/6318059287.png

8meg down, 4 up...and shafted, month after month, and 'lied' to regarding the ongoing 'reviews' ....

My Mobile internet is:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2892685183

Yes, that's 16meg up, TWICE as fast as VM's crappy BROADBAND!! and, I pay LESS for my WHOLE phone package, than I pay for VM's poor quality broadband...

FACT: my PHONE is FASTER than VM's FIBRE OPTIC broadband!!

Well-informed
Message 98 of 217 (388 Views)

[ Edited ]

Be extremely interested for an 'official' reply to this post please, as it appears VM are no longer interested??

Maybe a VM 'staff member' would have the decency to make an appearance  and at least admit that VM CANNOT provide the service??

Looking over this whole site, it appears that VM staff no longer make any sort of effort to even reply to most of the posts, if at all..

Back to the old '2 week wait if you are lucky' appears to be the going attitude here...more replies from other disgruntled users than from VM staff!! 

On our wavelength
Message 99 of 217 (382 Views)

They aren't going to reply because there seems to be an awful lot of hate on this thread, I know that it is very frustrating not getting answers to this, but getting angry about it will only make this worse. If you don't like the service you can just simply disconnect.

0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 100 of 217 (371 Views)

lyonc wrote:

They aren't going to reply because there seems to be an awful lot of hate on this thread,

Nothing wrong with hate. It can be a powerful force for change. I hate racism, for example. Or, I hate my painfully slow internet connection. Or, I hate it when VM lie to me.

Not everyone has the option to disconnect. Some people are tied into a contract. For others, VM are the best of a bad bunch — which doesn't make they way they're treated right.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016