Menu
DGRR
Joining in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Internet speed into 4K TV too slow... help!

Does anyone know how to increase the internet download speed into my Sony 4K TV? The Netflix-recommended speed test website (fast.com) states I'm getting anywhere between 18 & 26Mbps. The result is exactly the same if the TV is connected wirelessly or via Ethernet LAN CAT5 cable (the Virgin SuperHub sits next to the TV). I've already tried rebooting both the TV & the Hub/Router, but it makes no difference. Simultaneously, I have checked wireless speeds to my ipad (190Mbps, so all is well there). Any ideas??

I have the 200Mb broadband & SuperHub (2, I think). 

Download speeds to all other wireless devices is excellent.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet speed into 4K TV too slow... help!

..and what issues is this causing with your TV's smart apps?
0 Kudos
DGRR
Joining in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

No issues with the regular ones (iPlayer etc), but I pay for both Amazon & Netflix in Ultra HD & they both require a minimum 25Mbps for 4K streaming... i spent ages on the phone with Netflix yesterday. Netflix's system apparently automatically determines the internet speed coming into the TV and broadcasts its best available quality to match. Although I'm paying for their Ultra HD/4K quality, I'm apparently only getting their HD/1080p stream.

The question is: as a 200Mbps Virgin customer, why do i only get low 20's Mbps into my TV (whether Ethernet cable or wireless)?

0 Kudos
pete7049
Well-informed
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I wonder if it's the issues that this HUGE thread is talking about that's affecting your telly? 

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Very-poor-HTTP-download-speed/td-p/3026879

F003443743. December '14 - May '17.
0 Kudos
DGRR
Joining in
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply... having started to read the suggested thread, my head began to hurt! The language & detail really is beyond my meagre IT capabilities! All I know is that I should not be stuck with an 18-26Mbps download speed, especially when paying for the "up to" 200 package.

Unless anybody knows of a quick (and relatively simple!) fix here, I think my only option might be to get a VM engineer out?

0 Kudos
pete7049
Well-informed
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I'm a Brickie, so that thread makes me sit down and have a ciggie, before my eyes glaze over and I start drooling from a slack jaw. Smiley Happy But, I think that the basic thing is, how your internet is received from various websites. From what I can gather (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.), when you download from some sites the data comes down in multiple streams (A bit like turning on all of the taps in your house.), so if you've got a poor flow on one, the others take up the slack. Other download sites are received in a single stream (Just one tap.), and if that isn't running fast enough to do the job, you end up with problems. Time for another ciggie. Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
pete7049
Well-informed
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

And the problem is with how VM's hardware sorts out the streams. (I think that's it. Drool, puff puff. Smiley Happy )

0 Kudos
DGRR
Joining in
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that... my kind of language, too! Your open-tap explanation is very clear (thanks!!), but I should point out that as well as Fast.com, I've tried Speedtest.net - it gives the same low-20s result on the TV, whilst recording a high-180s result on my iPad at the same time. Does that make sense?!?

0 Kudos
pete7049
Well-informed
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

You could try this speed test, as it gives the 2nd line on the graph that people are on about in the huge thread:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/speedtest2.html
I think that both lines should be roughly the same, if not, you may have the single tap problem (Single download stream is too slow for your telly.).
0 Kudos
pete7049
Well-informed
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

TBB test 1.jpg

0 Kudos