Menu
nrw7
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Internet so slow in Farnborough, Hampshire

Hi,

I have been suffering from extremely slow internet speed in Farnborough. I am meant to have up to 200mbps which I know I am unlikely to ever achieve however on running speed tests I can not get over 30mbps. I have tried to run system diagnostics through myvirginmedia portal but it just sticks at 99% and then after 3 attempts says I have reached my maximum. I also can't find a way of requesting any help from virgin via email/web chat and I have not been able to call. Hopefully somebody can help! Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet so slow in Farnborough, Hampshire

Evening nrw7,

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to read that you are experiencing slow broadband speeds.

From checking your connection, the line and hub have come back as fine. There are no faults reported and the traffic on the network is running low, which is good.

Were the speed tests you completed through a wired or wireless connection? If wireless can you try through wired please to see if the speeds differ?

Do you notice these speeds at all times of the day or just at certain times?

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
nrw7
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your reply.

I don't actually use any wired connections so I could not test this unfortunately. I appreciate that you say there are no problems with the line or hub - however, I can't even watch a film on Netflix through my Apple TV without it stopping to buffer 4 or 5 times throughout the film which does not seem right.

Any ideas on how I can move forward to improve things as to be honest at the moment the internet is terrible.

Kind regards
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hey nrw7,

Thanks for getting back to me.

If the devices you have are connected through wireless, have you tried to change the wireless channel at all to see if that will help?

Do you get the same issue on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz?

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
nrw7
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam,

Yes I've tried using devices on 2.4 and 5. I am unsure how to change the wireless channel or if that is the wireless channel?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi nrw7,

Hope you don't mind me replying as Sam isn't in right now Smiley Happy

2.4GHz and 5GHz are the wireless frequencies - some older devices may only be compatible with 2.4GHz but the Hub you have can operate on both frequencies simultaneously so that shouldn't be a problem.

Please take a look at the below links which should be of help to you (just select the Super Hub 2 image):

Changing the wireless channel on your Super Hub
Optimising your wireless connection on Super Hub 

Let us know if this helps Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos