Menu
kiwi_katie
Tuning in
Message 1 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Internet keeps dropping out - HELP?!

Hello everyone

My internet conenction keeps dropping out and I cant figure out why. I have looked through this forum and I cant think what it might be. We are already on our second virgin modem and it is horribly unstable. I am on 100mbit virgin media, when I run a speed test it seems to be ok one minute and then useless the next. I am getting really frustrated by it. Regularly it grinds to a complete halt and resetting the modem is the only thing that works.

I think you need this informaiton so it is attached.

Screen Shot 2015-03-02 at 19.16.17.png

Screen Shot 2015-03-02 at 19.49.10.png

I have also started a 'broadband quality monitor' from thinkbroadband if that helps but it has only just started running and there are no problems since restarting the modem:

My Broadband Ping - vm100

Thanks,

Katie

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet keeps dropping out - HELP?!

The downstream stats are fine, as for the upstream stats, well they're the logged in version - which is a bit light on details. If you browse to http://192.168.100.1 - do not login this time. In the top right hand side of the page you will find the Router Status button. Click it, copy-paste/screenshot the upstream stats from the upstream section there and that into your next post please.

There appears to be a bit of a intermittent noise issue affecting the upstreams as noted by the T3 timeouts. Although it's not enough to drop the connection by any amount.

Some questions for you:

* Which Superhub model do you have?

* What happens to the lights on the front of the Superhub doing during the loss of Internet? Do they blink off and go into the usual reconnection dance, or do they remain static?

* Are all your devices connected wirelessly? If so, can you test the connection with a wired connected (Ethernet) device direct to the hub the next time you encounter a loss of Internet?

---* Related to the above Ethernet test: Can you access http://192.168.100.1 when the aforementioned loss of Internet happens? from that Ethernet connected device.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
kiwi_katie
Tuning in
Message 3 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Looking at that health monitor thing it suggests there are issues slowing down the ping times of the connection, I would have expected that to look a little cleaner. Someone can let me know whether or not it is typical for my area and connection type (Edinburgh).

I have the 'Superhub 2 (without the AC thingy, the model ends in 485 IIRC)

• I haven't actually looked at the lights on the router before, will do the next time it dies.

• Regarding the drop outs, it doesn't totally drop out that often, just all the time we get MEGA slow downs to a useless speed, it becomes unusuable when a page takes 2 minutes to load (eg facebook or bbc news)
    All of my devices are connected wirelessly, I could perhaps connect a computer but it is a massive nuisance to move it if I am honest. We get the same problem regardless of whether you are connected on 2.4g or 5g so in my head that would rule out likely wifi problems

If it is all a noise problem, how do I go about dealing with that. It seems like it would probably be quite a tricky complaint to get VM to acknowledge. Could it be something I have done, eg bending the cable, knocking the router etc??? I don't want to fork out 150 quid for some bloke to visit and tell me it is my fault and I should be lucky to be alive or something like that.

Requested infos attached along with an updated network log. Also here are speedtest results I have just taken, not quite 100mbit. This goes up and down, sometimes I get 105mbit down, sometimes I get 2mbit down. Sometimes the ping is 8ms, sometimes the ping is >500ms... This certainly isn't right!

upstream.png

t3.png

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Edinburgh? Okay, that's interesting. High utilization if severe enough can lead to T3 timeouts and of course the obvious slow downs. I mention this because there has been quite a number of people of late posting here about high utilization in Edinburgh. It's an unfortunate long shot, but potentially you're affected by that. Time wise, when you do you encounter the slow downs most commonly?

The time stamps of the T3s is also interesting, they appear to run into the early hours of the morning. Then stop until the time many people would be getting up for work. There's a routineness to it. So it kind of lends itself to the above thought.

The upstream impairment possibility looks less likely at this point.

The coax cable is pretty sturdy, of course if you go out of your way to really bend it, it could damage the internal bits and that would create connection issues. But you haven't been doing that? Casually adjusting the cable wouldn't damage it. Also, the Superhub is surprisingly sturdy (as well), I've seen YouTube videos of people needing to use several blows with a shovel or the like just to make a real dent on on their (hub.) Yes, those were videos by angry ex-customers. So an odd knock shouldn't do it any harm.

A member of the Forum Team would have to look into the health of the patch of the network you're in, to check the utilization levels. If that's all in operationally healthy values, then the SNR levels would need to be checked to see if it has dipped or not. If that's clear too, then a engineer visit would be booked to check that everything is in order on your end. It wouldn't cost you.

The wireless question more inline with a thought to a Superhub 2 bug as you mentioned the connection being fine after a reboot.

A member of the Forum Team will pick up on your topic soon.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
kiwi_katie
Tuning in
Message 5 of 29
Flag for a moderator

This has been going on for at least 3 maybe 4 months. The configuration hasn't been changed except we've played around with a few wireless channels, different modes etc. In case it is helpful, I experience this problem on 2 2013 Macbook Pro's and a windows desktop computer connected by a decent 2.4/5ghz usb wifi adapter.

I haven't knocked the cable etc, I was just curious to know whether or not it was all incredibly fragile. This evening I have checked/tightened all of the joins in the cable to make sure that it is intact, everything looked fine. For info we have a 6db attenuator that is connected directly to the rear of the router, after that there are 2 cables, totaling about 10m before you reach the old NTL box.

I am 100% sure it is not high network utilisation, not that I know really what the symptoms might be, just that the internet will be PERFECT one minute and then for a period of perhaps 3 minutes almost completely unresponsive. My housemate posted this video along with an earlier thread which gained no interest (so I re-posted it here myself), it is an oddly intermittent fault. I cannot believe high network utilisation would cause this sort of issue, it makes the product COMPLETELY unworkable.

The wireless question more inline with a thought to a Superhub 2 bug as you mentioned the connection being fine after a reboot.

Can you explain more about this, I feel myself that it is indeed a wireless issue, but the fact that we are getting these T3 problems suggest that there is something else unwell with the line. Thankyou for your help/suggestions... In addition to yours, any help/action from a moderator would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Pretty long then; the video does show a pause. It seems like some Macbook Pro laptops have no Ethernet port. Having such connectivity would have allowed you to test by Ethernet during those pauses to see if the Ethernet connection was equally affected or not.

The connection stats in those snapshots are fine (nothing needing adjusting in that respect), however the network log with its continual amount of T3s is a troubling symptom of varying issue(s.)

As regards high utilization, if there are random periods of really high load, it could lead to things not seeming to load. However, yes you would expect to see constantly slow speed test results (usually between 4PM-11PM, though sometimes it spills out a bit depending on the level of severity.)

The wireless bug I was thinking of would cause the wireless to cut out. When the wireless cuts out, the administrative GUI would crash too (making it inaccessible via Ethernet.) However, Ethernet connections would continue to receive Internet. The wireless would not recover until a reboot of the hub is done.

- - - - - -
kiwi_katie
Tuning in
Message 7 of 29
Flag for a moderator

I've had it before where 5g no longer functions but if I reconnect to 2g it works. Rebooting fixes that problem. It is annoying but I think that is a different issue. Should I persue VM for a new superhub. I'd consider buying one online if it will work/be compatible. I have seen them on ebay for a few quid.

Unfortunately you are right, no ethernet ports on a MBP. Rather annoying but oh well!

0 Kudos
kiwi_katie
Tuning in
Message 8 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Meant to add todays speedtest, far more typical when I have the problem.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 29
Flag for a moderator

You cannot buy a hub online as it will not work as each one is provisioned to a particular customer. What you could do is buy a third party wireless router to provide a more robust wireless connection and run the SH in modem mode.

I think it would be wise to follow Shelke's sound advise and wait for a Forum Team member to check your forward path FECs and utilisation levels so they can bottom out the cause of the T3 errors. Once the internet connection has been sorted then you can try and improve your wireless signal.

kiwi_katie
Tuning in
Message 10 of 29
Flag for a moderator

OK, how do I mage a forum moderator aware of the problem. Is anyone watching?!

I thought that would be the case with the superhub, that it would work only with one customer but I thought i'd ask anyway. I don't really want to do the modem thingy as it will end up with me paying for something that I feel isn't a problem with my kit and is virgins issue. If it cant be resolved using the means of the forum I will endevor to go down the tehcnical complaints route but it is not acceptable in its present condition.

0 Kudos